Confirm receipt?

Kazkari
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I have no idea were to post this.

I recently bought something off someone and it mentioned the "Confirm receipt" thing.

Well anyways I accsidently clicked no.

Will this affect the transaction?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Montyzap
New Community Member

Hi All,

I see no-one else has yet responded to Kazkari's question.  I've have a similar issue, so if there is someone out there who can help, please...

I've made a payment for an eBay item, yet my Paypal account displays a box with "Confirm Receipt" in it for the transaction concerned and I've had an email advising as follows:

“Two days ago you sent a payment to XYZ@.. .  This payment is still unclaimed.  Often, unclaimed payments are a result of a payment being sent to a misspelled or otherwise incorrect email address.  Please double-check to make sure you sent your payment to the intended recipient's correct email address.

A common cause of unclaimed payments is that the intended recipient has two email addresses, but only one has been registered to their PayPal account.

If you did not intend to send a payment to XYZ@.. , it is easy to cancel the transaction:
1.   Log in to your PayPal account.
2.   Go to the 'History' subtab of the 'My Account' tab and find this transaction (with a status of 'Unclaimed').
3.   Press the 'Cancel' button in the 'Action' column.
4.   On the confirmation page, press the 'Cancel Payment' button to confirm. Your payment will be cancelled and the funds returned to your PayPal account.”

The curious thing is that the Account History entry states that the payment has been "completed", which seems to suggest that it's not "unclaimed", and I cannot see an "Action" column, nor an option to cancel.  The recipient's address, meanwhile, was auto-populated by eBay, so should not be incorrect.

The Transaction Details page includes a box that says:

"Confirm receipt: Within the expected arrival date, please confirm if you have received the purchased merchandise. We are here to help if you have any problems with your purchase."

It seems then, that "Confirm Receipt" applies to me as the buyer, rather than to the seller, but if I click the box what will then happen?  (I've checked the Paypal help pages but found no clear guidance.)

(A further complication is that the item I was sent is not the one described and the seller - who's ostensibly new to eBay - has agreed to a refund, so I don't want to complicate matters by taking an inappropriate action in my Paypal account.  On the other hand, if there's a way for me to cancel rather than confirm the payment, that will either avoid the need for a refund, or avoid the possiblility of the seller evading the refund (just in case the sale was a scam to palm-off a relatively worthless item whilst taking the money for a more valuable one - sorry if that sounds a wee bit paranoid, but there's no escaping that eBay has been a bit a bit of a playground for scammers over the years) )

Thanks in anticipation,

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there Montyzap,

If you can see 'Completed' then your payment has gone through successfully, it may have been Unconfirmed temporarily. Also, clicking this 'Confirm Receipt' button will not affect your buyer protection.

If the item is Not as Described then you will need to go to the Resolution Centre and open a Significantly Not as Described dispute.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Lundiehill
New Community Member

Is any body from PayPal actually reading these posts?

I paid PayPal so as to download an on line language tuition site, PayPal, issued a receipt, but then when I tried to access and download the information I could not.  I am sure this is not a scam, but I can't raise a reply from PayPal client services, if such a department exists.

Any suggestions please ! ?

Login to Me Too

DoK
Contributor
Contributor

I would like some clarification from Paypal themselves on this matter.  I have recently bought a pair of speakers on ebay from a guy who has readily stated he is having issues with his Paypal account - eg it's frozen and he cannot get at any of his funds in his paypal account.  I have been shopping on ebay and using Paypal for donkeys years to pay for stuff and I ahve never come up against this 'Confirm Receipt' before.  Also, the payment has not been taken from my bank account yet - so what others saying about the transaction being completed is clearly inaccurate.  Reading between the lines I think it is more to do with the state of the receiving persons Paypal account and their behaviour whilst using it.

So can someone from Paypal please make a statement about this, because I would like to know what is going on....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi DoK, 

Welcome to the PayPal community forum.. 

There are times when we will ask a buyer to confirm that they have received an item. This is done for a number of different reasons. One of the main reasons is when we are reviewing a sellers account to ensure they are delivering their items and buyers are having a good experience. 

It is nothing for you to worry about in relation to your account. All you need to do is confirm when you have received your item. 

I hope this helps and thanks for posting 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.