Change of address to abroad (outside UK and US)

mariaque
New Community Member

Hello,

I wanted to update my paypal details and change my address. Although I can edit the address, postcode, city, etc, I cannot change the country! Yet I have moved to Italy. This obviously also affects the new bank details I'd like to enter. What should I do?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
73 REPLIES 73

Riquez
Contributor
Contributor

Connor, I have around 6 million yen in my account & i had the account for 8 years. They will not give me anything other than a cash card.

I realise that is not paypals problem, but the topic here is Paypal refusing to globalise. Its situations like this, people move around the world more often these days. Our banks are OK with that, people in this thread have banks in other countries & its no issue.

I do now have a credit card in Japan, but since Paypal Japan is in Japanese only that again poses a problem...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

We appreciate your feedback, Riquez and as advised by Conor, it will be passed on to the relevant team. We hope that certain functionality can be expanded in the future. In the meantime, you may be able to change the language in your account, following the below steps:

1. Go to www.paypal.jp and log in to your account.
  2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘My settings.’
  4. Click Update beside ‘Preferred language.’
  5. Select your preferred language and click Save.

Hope this helps to make things a bit easier. 

Jessica

Login to Me Too

aignacio
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to jump in another thread but I have a similar problem.  I have a paypal account that I've rarely used. I work in the middle east since 2008 and am currently working in Bahrain.  For most of the time I was here I didn't have a US bank account or phone number.  Last time I was home for Christmas I opened a US account, and got a Tracfone.  I didn't want a regular plan (AT&T etc) since it would be too expensive when I'm not living there, so I got a Tracfone.  Sadly Tracfones don't work outside the US, so I'm stuck with a phone number that can't be verified.  

I'm trying to send money to myself but I can't receive it through pay pal (somebody explain the crappy logic behind this... I can't accept money because I'm not verified, but anyone can hack my account and dispatch my money without me being verified?? ridiculous lack of logic there...). Anyway I cannot receive MY money through paypal because I can't activate my account with my Tracfone because I'm not in the US at the moment.  

Biggest issue (why I'm commenting) is that paypal (international organization...) doesn't allow me to change my telephone contact # to my Bahrain phone number? There's no option for a phone number that it's just an area code + 7 digits? It's 2015, this is weird. Why no option for country code? What do military people do? The Navy 5th Fleet is here in Bahrain yet they can't access their accounts because our phone numbers aren't accepted?

Question - how do I get paypal to accept my Bahrain country code, so I can activate MY account, so I can receive & access MY money, please? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi aignacio, 

Welcome to our Community.

This is a tricky one, as the PayPal system is designed to be country specific.

This is why you cannot add a phone number from Bahrain to a US PayPal account. 

How long are you stationed in Bahrain? Would you consider opening an account in Bahrain temporarily to receive funds? 

This might be the best short term solution until you return to the US, you see.

Conor 

Login to Me Too

aignacio
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the info Conor. I assumed it was what you say, but with the size of our military overseas it's a little silly we can't be contacted. Won't be opening a second account with the same company, just because of a silly phone issue. Cheers - A
Login to Me Too

kinfrance
Contributor
Contributor

It's all very well saying open  a new account in your new country, but how do I do that when logging on to the Paypal France site  takes me straight to the original site where I first opened my original account? It will not let me go to any specifically French Paypal site. Others seem to have done this (in Australia). Why not France? What do I do? I have a French address and a French bank account.  Maddening.

Login to Me Too

豚に真珠
New Community Member

The PayPal representative writes:

"Let me explain the process. PayPal is regulated based on a banking license and also needs to oblige to local banking agreements in every country which means that the country of registration can’t be changed."

I don't understand this.  Banks themselves (who are also -- self-evidently -- regulated based on banking licenses) have no problem with people living in one country and banking in another.  My US, UK, Danish, Canadian, and Swedish banks (I have accounts in all 5 countries because I lived in all of them at one time or another) all allow me to do this.  And many of these banks also operate in many countries (Citibank operates in 97 countries and abides by all local banking agreements).  So using the banking laws as a reason for this policy does not stand up.

Nor are there any restrictions in commercial law.  Amazon has no problem registering a payment method from any country to your account regardless of your current residential address (in fact they even like to do it, because they can offer to do the foreign exchange for you, earning an extra fee in the process).  Nor does that subsequently impose any restrictions on where items can be shipped, unless the item is 'geo-blocked' for reasons of copyright (e.g. media downloads).

Login to Me Too

Tatiana812
Contributor
Contributor

I did open the new account connected to a local bank.

But how do I gain access to my balance in US account? 

Is there a way to transfer my money to a new local account?

Login to Me Too

Riquez
Contributor
Contributor

The PayPal representative writes:

"Let me explain the process. PayPal is regulated based on a banking license and also needs to oblige to local banking agreements in every country which means that the country of registration can’t be changed."

I too have difficulty understanding this.

My bank is in the UK, I opened my paypal account in the UK.

Then I moved to Japan, my card & agreement still stand, I just need to update my address because my UK card & UK bank account has a Japanese address - I am not banking in Japan, I am still banking in the UK., its just my personal mailing address that is in Japan.

Login to Me Too

Riquez
Contributor
Contributor

## FINALLY THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM ##

After 11 years I have finally found the way around this problem!

• In your PayPal account page select the ADD BANK option (not card, BANK)

• You will need to enter your bank sort-code & account number.

• On the payPal main page where you see your balance click ADD MONEY.

• Then select the "You move money from your bank account" option. It will give you PayPal bank details. (print or save it)

Then go to your online banking website & set up a payment to paypal (company). In my case it was already an option so i didnt need to enter paypals details.

This way you can transfer money from your bank account into paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.