An unknown service error occurred.

eliotn
New Community Member

Hi,

I'm trying to add my bank account and I get this:

"An unknown service error occurred."

The bank account is not linked with any other paypal account.

Thanks

Jake

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

Instinct
New Community Member

yea i am too.

Login to Me Too

tommystrokes
New Community Member

Stuck with the same annoying problem and the annoying PayPal customer support system.

Read all the help on the website, Googled for the information and found this, moved forward with emailing PayPal only to get an automated response saying "Have you read the help... [and if you haven't, here, I pased it in this email for you] ... Please reply to this email if you still need help and we'll try to get back with you within 24 hours, 48 at the most."

Well, that was 4 days ago, still waiting on my response as to what's up with this great system while my money is stuck in PayPal purgatory.

Login to Me Too

Byggun
New Community Member

I was getting the same error. Turns out U had the account added to another Paypal account. I called customer service and they identified that, and switched it to my new Paypal account. Took about 20 min on the phone.

Login to Me Too

Pieisyummy
New Community Member

I know the solution!

Type in ALL the numbers.

Type what you typed originally, then look at a deposit ticket or any kind of slip that shows your bank number and on the way right, you will see a few numbers that are far apart from the numbers you typed. Include those numbers in the Bank account number line along with the original numbers you wrote before. Press enter and it should work.

Login to Me Too

Htanner2281
New Community Member

Adding the 3 numbers on the deposit slip after the account number worked!!!

Login to Me Too

slongtin
New Community Member

Agreed. My account is with Capital One 360 (formerly ING). I looked at my checks, and the next 3 numbers following the account number (but before the check number) are different on every check, so I just tried the numbers from the next check in the checkbook and it did, indeed, work.

Login to Me Too

athomemom86
New Community Member

I have Chase bank. I wasn't able to find any 3 numbers on my deposit slip or check, so I just put in 3 zeros "000" after my 10 digit account number, and it worked!

Login to Me Too

wbrr061304
New Community Member

Same problem here. My acct number is not 8 digits!

Login to Me Too

arc4869
New Community Member

**SOLVED**

5/3 bank here, ok so I tried firefox, chrome and IE thinking it was a browser issue.  Nope.

Then I tried with the check number at the end of the account number and BINGO.

example,

on your check you have the routing number, account number and check number:

123456789      1234567890    1234

When I just used 1234567890 for my account number (not me real one obviously) I got that same error on all three browsers.

When I used 12345678901234 it worked.

Hope that helps

Login to Me Too

WirelessFacile
New Community Member

Confirmed. adding 3 zeros did work and got us past our service error message.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.