Am i covered through paypal protection?

sarahsharpe1992
New Community Member

Hi all. I am just wonder if im covered through paypal protection if i am to buy an item/goods outside of ebay? I have been offered a phone but it is not through ebay. The person says they want the money through paypal to pay for the item/goods. But im not to sure if i want to send money over to his paypal if i dont know if im covered if anything goes wrong or if it turns out hes a scammer. Need help fast!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there sarahsharpe1992,

You are covered for good purchased on and off eBay.

PayPal Buyer Protection covers you for items that you have bought in the event that you do not receive your item, or the item is significantly not as described.

You are eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection if:

• You didn’t receive the item or the item is significantly not as described.
  • You used PayPal, an eBay invoice or clicked the ‘Pay Now’ button to purchase the item.
  • You paid for the item with one payment (items purchased with multiple payments are not eligible for Buyer Protection).
  • The claim is for tangible, physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited by PayPal. Payments for intangibles, services, licences and other digital content are not protected
  • You file a dispute in your PayPal account via the 'Resolution Centre' within 45 days of the payment. If you cannot resolve the dispute with your seller, ask PayPal to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date the dispute was opened

If your transaction meets these requirements, you can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre and communicate with the seller to resolve the problem. If you can’t resolve the problem with the seller, you can ask us to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim.

To learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection and to see the full eligibility requirements, click ‘Legal Agreements’ at the bottom of any PayPal page, and then click ‘PayPal User Agreement.’

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Abs786
Contributor
Contributor
Am I protected by 'paypal buyer protection program' if I use the send money option to pay for goods to the seller using their paypal registered email address? Thanks,
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there Abs786,

Yes, you are protected when you use the 'Send Money' tab, just ensure you select the payment is for 'Goods' and not a 'Personal/Gift Payment' or 'Service'

Also, just remember you have 45 days to make a claim through PayPal.

Hope this helps!

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

Abs786
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the rapid response Siobhan. Highly appreciated 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

No problem 🙂 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.