Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

denisew
New Community Member

I have just received the exact same email today thought it was odd so checked here. emailed him back wanting more info he replied with lods of stuff about paypal. Obviously someone who doesnt have English as a first language. Told him to bring the cash if he wants the car and to stop scamming me!!

Login to Me Too

Sjazzkey
New Community Member
Yikes!!! I got the exact email re:gift for dad. They asked to send additional pics of car & after said they want to purchase via PayPal saying how secure it was. I contacted payola & they mentioned nothing about possible fraud as long as I created invoice. After seeing this, I will not carry out sale. Thanks for sharing!
Login to Me Too

charliearm1

i got this similar message 

Hello thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now.
I am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay
through paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank
account online(i dont have internet banking with it), but i have it
attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using
paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the
payment, and if you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one
it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your
paypal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for
the pick up after payment has been sorted, l will be waiting for your
reply asap.
Login to Me Too

reachdigital
New Community Member

Same message so becareful people.

Hello thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now.
I am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. However,does it have
any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't
mind my asking and I will really appreciate if you can email more info
and if possible more photos.  I can  only pay through paypal at the
moment as i don't have access to my bank  account online(i dont have
internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal
account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will
need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if you dont
have a paypal account yet, you can set one  it cant take you less than
3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay
and your phone number.  I have a pick up agent that will come for the
pick up after payment has been sorted,  l will be waiting for your
reply asap.
Login to Me Too

alblinger
I never knew so many people were marine engineers! And they are apparently all in the market for a new car. Ha-ha
Login to Me Too

Maegan
New Community Member

The exact same thing is happening to me right now. SO glad I found this.

Login to Me Too

Addme1012
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same experience, someone called Christian <removed> email me saying she is buying the truck for her son's birthday gift and will pay through PayPal. I am so lucky that I have found this forum. BEWARE, SO MANY BAD PEOPLE OUT THERE!!!

Login to Me Too

HomeTree
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your posts.

I have just received similar email:

"Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother-in-law. I am at the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer, due to the nature of my work, phone calls and use of the internet is restricted but I have managed to squeeze out time to check your advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address and your final price so I can make the payment for the car asap. Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, log on to www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a shipper that will come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the car and funds available in your account."

After reading so many posts on the forum about car purchase/selling by Paypall this is what I have responded:

Dear Gerald

Thank you for your email. Unfortunatelly cars aren’t covered under PayPal buyer or seller protection therefore the only acceptable method of payment is bank transfer or cash on collection. As there is a lots of cash in question It has to be bank working day and cash is to be paid and accepted by the bank befor the keys are handed in.
Hope you can understand this. 
Kind regards, H.T

Login to Me Too

AamenaT
Contributor
Contributor
Omg I got a similar message! It said ..... Thanks for taking the time to reply to my email. Please understand that I can't come around to inspect or see for myself as I am partially disabled and in a wheelchair for now due to an accident I had some time ago which also affected my hearing hence my reason for not calling you. I have good internet access, though. I am trying to buy this for a family member who is out of town. I am okay with your asking price, just wanted to be sure it's not going higher than it is. Now If you don't mind, I can only pay with PayPal at the moment because it's the most secure way to make or receive payment online making it my preferred payment method. Don’t have a PayPal account? No worries. Getting one is fast and free and I assure you it is safe and secure. I have gone through the ad but have a few questions. Whats your reason for selling? Are you the original owner? How long have you owned it? Any other thing you think I should know? Do you have any other pictures to share with me apart from those on the ad? I hope you consider my offer and if you do, you can pause negotiations with any other person as I am ready to buy now to make it a quick sale and hopefully it is completed by today or tomorrow. We can schedule pick up and further inspection at your convenience after you have confirmed and received payment via PayPal. Thanks for understanding, hope to read from you. Regards. THANKS PAYPAL!
Login to Me Too

kitera

Yes I've been getting the same scam emails while trying to sell my car on various sites. They all have the same thing in common:

1) The buyer can't be reached by phone because they are a sailor, or deployed

2) They insist on using paypal

3) Someone else will come and handle paperwork and pickup

4) They will pay the full price

5) Few questions and no inspection / test drive

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.