Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

johnsonville
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have had a offer Today for my Car. payment over paypal. but I have asked for payment, Cleared payment, then cleared payment into my bank account from paypal before the car leaves my drive way.... Is there Anyway to have this buyer open a case once payment clears my bank?????   How long would the process take...

Login to Me Too

zbinkz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I just got offered to sell my motorcycle on PayPal as well. Did it work out for you after clearing the funds in your bank account?

Login to Me Too

George2021
Contributor
Contributor
Hello paula! I wanna know something from PayPal,am planning to buy a car from Beforward Japan and pay with PayPal.my question is: do you hold the money until I receive the car?or the money will go direct to their bank account? If they don't ship the car,do you refund ? Thanks George
Login to Me Too

agnesvw

I have same problem could you tell me how did you resolve it? as after 2 weeks PayPal just send money back to the buyer and I have not got my car and no money now!

Login to Me Too

Kellie88
Contributor
Contributor
It was a scam so I ended up taking the vehicle to a dealer instead of selling it on my own. I only got calls and emails through auto trader that were scams. What a wast of my $45 to list it for sale through them. I sent the email off to PayPal and they advised me this type of stuff happens all the time. They also advised me that PayPal doesn't have a protection against a seller for animals or autos, so often times, a person will pay through PayPal with a fraudulent bank account which will reverse the transaction a few days after it "clears" your account. Then, you're stuck with the negative balance.
Login to Me Too

Blonde_mama
Contributor
Contributor

Ugh! I have gotten calls from dealerships wanting for me to pay them too. I did get a call from an old man from florida tonight. I am letting my calls go to voicemail. I will probably post on craigslist then...to find some local action. So glad I said no to the paypal texters. 

Login to Me Too

Kellie88
Contributor
Contributor
I'd just like to add that it's so sad we have to be part of this forum. Where are all the honest people in this world?
Login to Me Too

Kellie88
Contributor
Contributor
I replied below. Can you read it?
Login to Me Too

Thank you.  I live in Yakima,WA and I received a call from an interested buyer from the Phoenix,AZ area just a few minutes after I posted my car for sale.  The potential buyer was very eager to get my email address for payment to my PayPal account and suggested a "private mover" would pick the car up.  I am expecting make contact with the person in the near future.  I will be notifying the person I WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL AS PAYMENT. Thank you!

Why does PayPal do chargebacks on vehicles if buyer is deemed "unprotected"?  Protection for seller is absent...

-Tony

Login to Me Too

applepie
Contributor
Contributor
You have to ask yourself whether you would send someone to buy a car for you that you had never seen. I can't imagine any genuine buyer ever doing that. If you read through this thread you will read numerous similar stories. It is a scam to gain access to your account then empty it for you - read back this is all explained.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.