45 day dispute limit

oldguv
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal have decided that there is nothing they can do for me as I failed to open a dispute within the 45 day time limit. Despite the seller sending messages begging me to be patient and that the item may be delayed because of extra security after the bombs in packages . Now because of the Christmas New Year celebrations I open a dispute 3 days late, Paypal say they can't help. Some way to treat their customers!

Login to Me Too
44 REPLIES 44

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

For legal reasons they have to have a cut off point and 45 days should be plenty of time to either know your item is not going to arrive or realise it is misdescribed.

In fact you have more than that.

If an item does not arrive by day 44 file a dispute you then have ANOTHER 20 days before you need to escalate the dispute to a claim. The seller then has ANOTHER 10 days to prove you have received the item or refund.

So that is a total of 75 days for the item to arrive.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

baDmRfRosTy
New Community Member

Finally, somone who knows the answer to your query - for the next time, anyway.
You HAVE to open a "dispute" with the seller on BOTH EBAY and PAYPAL on day 44!

Oh, they don't tell you that, but that is the worst-kept secret of this system. THEN, if the item arrives, you simply close the dispute, probelm solved. The seller MIGHT seem a little annoyed...but it's an ACT! They know exactly why you are opening the dispute, and that you will, of course, close it when (if) your item(s) arrives.

Buying a lot from China, ( a 100 items total, or so),  this as happened to me exactly once. The other 2-3 times it HAD been a scam! The second (OR the first!) item did NOT show up, then neither did the second...therefore, statistical probability says, without ANY doubt, that your secound item was either 1) sent to the wrong address, or 2) not sent at all. And since you went over you address with the seller (right?), it has to be 2). You've caught a thief. After 20 days, no items, time to excalate to a claim. Of course, it hose items ever DO show...it's actually FUN to be the guy/girl that contacts tye seller and says, well. guess what, and pays. That happene to me ONCE - and they were, of coure, very gracious. But the system is what the system is. And used by honest folks, it usually works.

I find Paypal has been MUCH better than Ebay on the few times I have felt ripped off. That is probably because I use paypal for MANY things, not just Ebay....and I have bought  several "medium-ticket" items  with no hassles ($500-$1500)...

And so, I believe that they have refunded me a couple times on some fairly small purchases ($10-$20) out of their own pocket. However, by then I am 100% that the seller is running a scam. Here's what they do. They sell a popular item that many sellers sell. Take, for instance suglasses-cams or cell-phone batteries. You wait 30 days...still no item, you contact seller, and you are polite, and you get an overly effusive apology, ( let's face it...it's insincere sounding; "obsequiosness", really.)

Honestly, I often seem to get my parcel then the next week...no harm, no foul...weird selective memory combined with 5-6 weeks being a modal delivery time, it seems. But, in the last few years, I OFEN seem to get suckered into waiting just  little longer: "it's in customs", "it will be there soon friend, don't worry! ", blah blah blah.

But it doesn't come, and unless it's a big deal item, I usually lose track of the fact that 45 days has passed. Other things are arriving from other sites etc etc...you get the picture. Oh well, ultimately I blame myself of letting them get away with it.

But no more. I'm sick of it. Most Chinese sellers are good, they really are. But do not be fooled by high trade numbers. Anyone can build up literally thousands of seller account with high numbers. Ebay can't stop it, it legal.

So, on those cases when it's even too late to launch a dispute, I suggest calling them both up, letting them know what happened, and that yeah it's too launch a dispute but (guess what?), lol you and I are gonna waste some time here on the phone while I grumble about your policy, lol. yes, "time is money", so at the next staff meeting, pass it up!

One day they will HAVE to realize that 45 days is TOO SOON - I shop more at DXdotCOM than Ebay for that very reason.

And yeah, I use paypal, so I don't expect anyone to edit, censor or remove this post, Paypal. I'm a Paypal advisor of sorts TOO, an unofficial one - I have gotten dozens, if not hundreds, of folks set up on it, and for the most part, I like and repsect your service: I do not encourage or advise ANYONE to even THINK of making a false claim!!

Nor would I, even for a minute, competmplate doing that...lol.

My grandfather always apparently said "nahh...If I steal somethin;, it's be worth millions!

He was actually a rumrunner that disappeared offf Belize in 1928, hahaha.

I just lost money on a couple pairs of camera glasses....but got 5 pair that worked, and 4 that did not.

But it put me right off Ebay. and their 45 day limit - it's too short.

There: my tuppence worth turned into 50P!

Login to Me Too

Dragger

Heh, I'm responding from an acient post, hope I didn't wake you.

45 days .... ok check my math?.

Ordered an android tablit from China Saturday, I know.

They sent it out and will be here in 30 days (*wimper*) that's 30 working days.

+/-    I imagine that means plus or minus something.

Ok, from Saturdau 08/17/2013

So Sunday September 15th 2013 should be 30 days but! it's not including weekends

so hmm ok 10 weekend days so it is 30 days on September 27th 2013,

Alright 30 work days and 10 weekend days is in PayPal's world is an actual 40 days.

That leaves me with five days to notify the dealer the amount is being disputed and report the dispute with PayPal, nothing to worry about if the unit does show up.  I'll just drop the dispute.

The question then becomes how long does PayPal get tied up with whatever investigation?  I somehow imagine 30 days ... where I got that from I haven't the slightest idea.

At any rate that period of time should take care of the plus or "minus"

Thanks Doc what do I owe you?

Login to Me Too

mattherd
New Community Member

Tell me about it! Exactly the same thing happened to me. Seller assured me item was on its way, now its over the 45 day limit and I am out of pocket £300. Paypal dont want to know and my bank arent interested either. Whats the point of using paypal? This is the second time that Ive been frauded out of money and Paypal always side with the seller not the buyer? Its a joke.

Login to Me Too

essexman
Contributor
Contributor

A lot of sellers would probrly argue that they side with the buyer more but I think 45 days is enough for non delivery but maybe not enough for items being faulty but any items bought from outside EU would not be protected by UK legislation which givs items 1 year warrenty.I think a lot of buyers who find paypal to side with seller are sellers who are dodgy are know how to play the paypal system and try to prevent you getting a refund on Ebay its easeier to spot good and bad but outside paying with paypal much harder.

Login to Me Too

Nick_Meyne
Contributor
Contributor
Actually, I think it's easier if you use a card. With paypal in the middle you have bureaucracy and immature fraud detection systems. Banks and card companies have better systems and deeper pockets for compensating and reassuring their customers when things go wrong, provided you have a good relationship with your bank. I will only use paypal if there is no alternative. Regards, Nick
Login to Me Too

DarkEmberKitty
New Community Member

The rule should at the very least be amended to say 45 days from when the item is shipped. Capping the timeframe at 45 days also places a hardship on buyers of custom-made items from specialty shops, where it may take longer than 45 days for the item to be made and shipped.

Paypal's policies are absolutely horrid. I reccomend contacting the Federal Trade Commission if you have problems that Paypal refuses to address, and only use Paypal to send money to friends and family. Use your personal financial institution's payment methods instead for purchases, and boycott Ebay and any Paypal-only online merchants until they re-instate alternative payment methods.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

45 days from when item shipped????

Thats the whole point of a dispute for item not received, what if the seller does not ship? That would mean the buyer could never open a dispute.!!!

You actually have longer than 45 days, if an item does not arrive or the seller is taking longer then file on day 44 that gives you another 20 days till you have to escalate to a claim, then paypal gives the seller another 10 days to prove receipt of item and so that is a total of 74 days, surely enough for any item to arrive.

Anytime during that process you can cancel the claim and if the item arrives after you are refunded you can repay the seller.

As for just using your bank and c.c. they can only chargeback under £100 as a courtesy and i cna't see them doing that for every £2.99 item that doesn't arrive.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ancientz
New Community Member

As a seller, 45 days is more than enough time. I sell not only my own items but items for customers of mine. It would be a nightmare if I had to hold the money and not give it to my client for 2 months!

Login to Me Too

MNWazir
Contributor
Contributor

In these stations you should always open a case just don't escalate the case. That way you will receive some extra time. At least that is how it is on ebay. I have trusted a seller and waited then I lost $350 because of my trust now I rather open a case and then if the seller delivers I close it.

I hope that help you for the next time.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.