PayPal USA Community Chat 1/24 - Closed

PayPal_Olivia

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly USA Community Chat on Wednesday, January 24th, from 1-2pm PT (4-5pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

Please feel free to RSVP to the chat by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

Emperious
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

First off, thank you for doing this! Unfortunately, I'm stuck in a tough situation:

A person impersonated my friend and convinced me to send money to them through Friends and Family. After I sent the money, they revealed that they had scammed me, and said that since I sent the payment through Friends and Family, they could get away with the scam. 

I contacted PayPal and initiated an unauthorized transaction claim in hopes that the money could be refunded. The representative told me to email the recipient and ask for my money back, and closed my dispute. Considering that the recipient was an impersonator, they have not responded to my messages. 

Is there any way to reverse the transaction or ask for the claim to be appealed? Would contacting PayPal over phone/email/social media be beneficial?

Thank you!  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@Emperious wrote:

Hello,

First off, thank you for doing this! Unfortunately, I'm stuck in a tough situation:

A person impersonated my friend and convinced me to send money to them through Friends and Family. After I sent the money, they revealed that they had scammed me, and said that since I sent the payment through Friends and Family, they could get away with the scam. 

I contacted PayPal and initiated an unauthorized transaction claim in hopes that the money could be refunded. The representative told me to email the recipient and ask for my money back, and closed my dispute. Considering that the recipient was an impersonator, they have not responded to my messages. 

Is there any way to reverse the transaction or ask for the claim to be appealed? Would contacting PayPal over phone/email/social media be beneficial?

Thank you!  

Hey @Emperious,

That definitely sounds like a difficult situation, and I apologize for the experience you've had so far - I'm happy to provide any assistance I can. In situations like this, there wouldn't be a way to dispute the charge on PayPal. Because it was sent as a Friends & Family payment, there's no buyer protection, and because you did initiate the payment, that would mean it isn't unauthorized.

I understand the recipient was fraudulent, however PayPal defines "unauthorized" as someone else using the account to send a payment without the account holder's permission or knowledge. As that isn't the case for this transaction, the best option would be to work with your bank or card company directly to see what options they may have for you. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but wish you luck in pursuing your refund.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Emperious
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ashley, 

Thank you for replying! As I sent money from my PayPal balance, it appears I'm out of luck. 

Does PayPal have any system in place to prevent the scammer from scamming more people from the same PayPal account? In other words, can PayPal take any action against the recipient?

Once again, thank you!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@Emperious wrote:

Hi Ashley, 

Thank you for replying! As I sent money from my PayPal balance, it appears I'm out of luck. 

Does PayPal have any system in place to prevent the scammer from scamming more people from the same PayPal account? In other words, can PayPal take any action against the recipient?

Once again, thank you!

Hey @Emperious,

I'm very sorry to hear it was a balance payment, I definitely understand this is a terrible situation. In cases where we have fraudulent buyers or sellers (or in this case, receivers) in PayPal, filing a case against the transaction is the best thing you can do. When a case is opened, we investigate both sides to make sure they sender and receiver are following PayPal policies and to make sure there isn't any fraud happening. Although we may not be able to reverse this particular transaction, this should assist us in ensuring no one else is affected by the same user. You can also report any fraudulent PayPal users following the steps under "Potential Fraudulent Seller" listed here. The only other option in this case is to pursue the person outside of PayPal by any means available. I hope this information helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Emperious
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@Emperious wrote:

Thank you!

@Emperious,

You're welcome! Glad to help. 🙂 Have a great rest of your day, and thanks for stopping by!

- Ashley M

Login to Me Too

Meta83
New Community Member
I have question of my account
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@Meta83 wrote:
I have question of my account

Hi @Meta83,

Welcome to the chat! Please let us know how we can help! We are happy to assist with general questions!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Amhood1111
My paypal account is not letting me request or receive $ idk why may you please help?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ashley

@Amhood1111 wrote:
My paypal account is not letting me request or receive $ idk why may you please help?

Hi @Amhood1111!

Thanks for stopping by our Chat! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into some troubles with requesting and receiving payments. 😞

Most commonly, customers run into this problem when they are new to PayPal and have not yet confirmed their PayPal email address

Are you seeing any errors when you request money or do the senders of your payments receive any error messages?

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.