PayPal USA Community Chat 1/10 - Closed

PayPal_Ashley

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly USA Community Chat on Wednesday, January 10th, from 1-2pm PT (4-5pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

Please feel free to RSVP to the chat by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

bigmart42
Contributor
Contributor

are they ever available before that? and how will you know if you are getting one.

if you are gettng one will there a notice before hand 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ashley

@bigmart42 wrote:

are they ever available before that? and how will you know if you are getting one.

if you are gettng one will there a notice before hand 

@bigmart42 wrote:

just for clarification purposes as i am sure others are wondering as well

if a person has 19999 in goods and services and 5000 in Friends and Family payments that person is NOT supposed to get a 1099K correct, however they can still call to get the information for tax purposes?

just trying to figure this all out

No problem, @bigmart42! I know that things like this can be confusing, especially if you're new to selling. The forms are rolled out to customers as they become available throughout the month of January. If you have a 1099-K, we will send an email to let you know. 

To follow up on your question about friends and family payments - these are known as personal payments and do not count toward gross payments received in relation to 1099-Ks. Customers can always call us with questions about their payments or they may download history and statements through the PayPal account. 

Our tax page has tons of info about tax reporting and receiving 1099-Ks. I would encourage you to check it out if you have more questions. 🙂

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

bigmart42
Contributor
Contributor

so if it has been verified by a Paypal Customer Service Rep that a person is under 20K and there was no activity on that certain account since mid summer that person would NOT receive a 1099K from paypal?

Login to Me Too

bigmart42
Contributor
Contributor

also they are rolled out throughout the entire month of January so its possibly a person could get them before 1/31/18? i am talking about 1099k

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ashley

@bigmart42 wrote:

so if it has been verified by a Paypal Customer Service Rep that a person is under 20K and there was no activity on that certain account since mid summer that person would NOT receive a 1099K from paypal?

@bigmart42 wrote:

also they are rolled out throughout the entire month of January so its possibly a person could get them before 1/31/18? i am talking about 1099k

Hi @bigmart42

It looks like you asked a similar question on our 12/20 chat. If a customer does not meet the thresholds on one account then we would not send a 1099-K. 

Please keep in mind that if there are multiple PayPal accounts attached to the same identity and the threshold is reached or passed between the accounts collectively, then a 1099-K would be issued in that situation. If you only have one PayPal account, then this would not apply to you. It is good info though in case other Community Members have similar questions. 🙂

And yes, the 1099-Ks are rolled out all month long so it is possible to receive one early. 

-Ashley

Login to Me Too

bigmart42
Contributor
Contributor

just for clarification purposes as i am sure others are wondering as well

if a person has 19999 in goods and services and 5000 in Friends and Family payments that person is NOT supposed to get a 1099K correct, however they can still call to get the information for tax purposes?

just trying to figure this all out

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Where are getting the $20k number from? All the info I see about 1099s are that they are required from $600+.
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

bigmart42
Contributor
Contributor

the paypal website states a 1099 is only issued when you are over 20k in Goods and Services Payments recieved AND over 200 transactions

friends and family payments are NOT supposed to count towards that number 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@angelleye wrote:
Where are getting the $20k number from? All the info I see about 1099s are that they are required from $600+.

Hi @angelleye,

That's a great question!

PayPal does not advise sellers when it comes to their responsibilities for their own reporting. The $600 figure you are mentioning may be the threshold at which you are responsible to report your own income. For information about the circumstances under which PayPal will generate a 1099-K, please take a look here. For any questions regarding tax responsibility, please consult the IRS or a tax professional. 

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bigmart42
Contributor
Contributor

its 20K and 200 transactions of Goods and services, friends and familypayments are NOT supposed to count towards it

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.