PayPal Community Q&A - May 15, 2019 - Closed

PayPal_JonK

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our semi-weekly Community Q&A on Wednesday, May 15th, from 1-2 pm PT (4-5 pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the Q&A is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board. As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Q&A works:

The Q&A opens at 1 pm PT. Once the Q&A is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post in the Q&A, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the Q&A, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe. Smiley Happy 

During the Q&A, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time.

At 2 pm PT, the Q&A will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the Q&A by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post. See you then!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_JonK

Hi everybody!

Today's Community Q&A is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal. We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Forum User Agreement and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This event is a regular feature every Wednesday from 1pm to 2pm PT and Friday from 4pm to 5pm GMT, so if you missed us this time, please feel free to stop by in the future! 

Cheers,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

d363f86b
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jon & team,

My name is Spencer <removed> and I own ThePortlandCompany.com and have been a business customer for something like 10-15 years. We have paid tens of thousands, maybe over $100,000 to you guys in various fee's over the years - and done so happily. Not to mention dozens - maybe a couple hundred - customers we've referred to you guys for ecommerce and POS.

I have an ongoing problem (6+ months) with your security flagging system that freezes my debit cards, occasionally my account, and prevents me from paying staff and operating our company. I've spent countless hours on the phone over 6 months trying to find someone who is capable of addressing the issue but am repeatedly told the person I'm speaking with is completely incapable of resolving the issues and that there is no one in the company that can - which is obviously incorrect - but none the less. 

I am at the point that I simply have to stop using PayPal any use Stripe or another provider indefinitely because everyone I have access to acts as though nothing can be done to solve the problems.

I will post the details in a moment, but want to get this message in early.

Login to Me Too

stripolszky
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I would like to change ONE letter in my first name. I originally registered as Sharolta and I would like to change it to Sarolta. I requested a minor change to my name through this page https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/name/minorchange. I also sent you an e-mail through the form on your website. Both times I only got the autoreply, and then nothing else. Now I cannot transfer money to my personal bank account, because that is on my name Sarolta  and I guess this is why it does not want to accept the account. 

What else should I do? 

Thank you for your reply. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@stripolszky wrote:

Hello

I would like to change ONE letter in my first name. I originally registered as Sharolta and I would like to change it to Sarolta. I requested a minor change to my name through this page https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/name/minorchange. I also sent you an e-mail through the form on your website. Both times I only got the autoreply, and then nothing else. Now I cannot transfer money to my personal bank account, because that is on my name Sarolta  and I guess this is why it does not want to accept the account. 

What else should I do? 

Thank you for your reply. 

Hello @stripolszky 

Thanks for joining our Community Chat! I'm sorry to hear it's taken so long to fix a minor typo with your first name. You're definitely taking the right steps (filling out the request form, sending it off for approval, etc). Normally that should take no longer than a business week to complete. I apologize for the lack of response there. 

I would recommend calling in to our Customer Support or reaching out via Facebook or Twitter. A representative will be able to double check that the requests to change the name were received correctly or not. They will also be able to point you in the right direction to complete that minor name change. 

Thank you for your time and patience in that matter. 

Cheers!

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

d363f86b
Contributor
Contributor

There are three problems I am experiencing that are somehow related and all result in either specific payments or my entire card or account being frozen. Here are the issues:

1. It began about 6+ months ago when I submitted a payment to a staff member in India from my PayPal to theirs. I received a notice saying the payment was sent but that it was being held. No explanation as to why, no follow up - ever - and the staff member could see the transferred funds but could not use them in any way. Six months later (about a month ago and after all of the items below) I spoke with a US based customer service person who comprehended the issue, spent a substantial amount of time diagnosing it, and then reported that your internal systems were suppose to tell me that you needed me to get my staff members birth date to confirm a security question. This was *never* reported to me at any point through the website, phone calls or emails. It was a fluke this guy even discovered the issue. The funds were finally released and it cost my company thousands of dollars and a damaged reputation both with my staff and our client whose project was being worked on by this person who was rightfully owed funds that were never released to him.

I am a very reasonable person, understanding of technical issues, and eager to work with someone to diagnose and resolve them with as much detail as necessary. But no one ever acknowledged:

- That this type of holding of funds is completely unacceptable, probably illegal.

- That I should not be responsible for knowing the birth date of a contractor - on top of the fact that's private information which may also be illegal to require from me or for me to ask a contractor.

- That it was entirely unacceptable this took six months to resolve, especially for a business that brings as much revenue to PayPal as ours and has been extremely loyal.

Next item I will post in a moment.

Login to Me Too

d363f86b
Contributor
Contributor

2. During the same time period above, I began to send payments via Western Union and Xoom. Xoom, being owned by PayPal, I assumed would be easier to work with. However, Xoom began flagging them claiming a "Bank Error."

From that point forward literally every single time I submitted a payment I had to call in and answer security questions to prove I'm me and that I authorized this payment. Then have to go and resubmit the transaction.

This issue seems to have been resolved with item #1 until two weeks ago when it began to happen again. Except now, after answer security questions, it was still being blocked. The rep on the phone said this is because Xoom marks it as Cash Advance and Mastercard limits those to $1,015 a day.

Lots of problems here that could be solved. This doesn't happen when I pay with any other bank card - including Mastercard. So someone is being given incorrect informaiton and PayPal is losing money as a direct result - on top of really upsetting loyal profitable business customers.

I will post the third problem next.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@d363f86b wrote:

Hi Jon & team,

My name is Spencer <removed> and I own ThePortlandCompany.com and have been a business customer for something like 10-15 years. We have paid tens of thousands, maybe over $100,000 to you guys in various fee's over the years - and done so happily. Not to mention dozens - maybe a couple hundred - customers we've referred to you guys for ecommerce and POS.

I have an ongoing problem (6+ months) with your security flagging system that freezes my debit cards, occasionally my account, and prevents me from paying staff and operating our company. I've spent countless hours on the phone over 6 months trying to find someone who is capable of addressing the issue but am repeatedly told the person I'm speaking with is completely incapable of resolving the issues and that there is no one in the company that can - which is obviously incorrect - but none the less. 

I am at the point that I simply have to stop using PayPal any use Stripe or another provider indefinitely because everyone I have access to acts as though nothing can be done to solve the problems.

I will post the details in a moment, but want to get this message in early.

Hi @d363f86b,

Thank you for joining today's Q&A.

The issue you're facing is a tough one, and your frustration is entirely understandable. I'm afraid the security system is not something that can be overruled. While false positives can occur, there are typically factors that contribute to that determination when our security system is reviewing a potential payment. We also wouldn't be able to give insight into the reasons that the security system might detect risk, as that information is kept private to keep it out of the hands of fraudsters.

I'm very sorry that you're having this experience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

d363f86b
Contributor
Contributor

3. The final problem is that the security questions I was being asked are - absolutely and verifiably - false. Whether they are based on public record they are incorrect. I'm being told this doesn't matter and no one is going to do anything about it. Causing MY funds to be frozen for 2 days until I can attempt to pass the security thing again. Which is impossible when they ask questions that are incorrect. On top of the fact they won't tell me which ones I answered incorrect. Nor are willing to report to anyone that there is something fundamentally wrong.

All in all, this is a time where having a single PayPal rep who is absolutely qualified, speaks clear and strong English, and is going to see these problems all the way through until they're completely resolved is what I would expect. Or a team of reps. Something. But to be ignored, transferred, and told no one is willing to resolve these is unacceptable and I would like to know there is someone who will acknowledge it. Of course any managerial position, much less executive position, in the company would be shocked to hear these things and see to it they got resolved - if only I could reach someone who cares.

I'm hoping you guys are those people.

Login to Me Too

d363f86b
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia, my request isn't to "override" the security system. But to be told something like "We acknowledge that you should have been notified that we needed specific information from you to release those funds. It was a failure with our system for that not to have happened. We are going to investigate this and personally follow up with you to let you know why that didn't happen and that it's resolved."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.