PayPal Community Q&A - January 4, 2019 - Closed

PayPal_Martin

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our semi-weekly Community Q&A session on Friday, January 4th, from 4-5pm GMT.

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the session is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Q&A session works:

The session opens at 4pm GMT. Once it is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post a question, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the Q&A, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe. Smiley Happy 

During the Q&A session, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time. 

At 5pm GMT, the session will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the Q&A session by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

Martin.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

bdbvb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I wanted to confirm: 

Are webhooks working in the sandbox environment?

I'm using WooCommerce and attempting to integrate with PayPal. I've gone through both the Braintree route (using a PayPal REST API app) and the PayPal Standard route (using NVP/SOAP API apps) and have configured the webhooks in those (for all events), and it seems everything is working for both, except that webhooks are never called. I can successfully call the webhooks using the simulator (and IPN works OK too when using PayPal standard). I just can't get the webhooks to fire.

Login to Me Too

wanjalamarvin
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Moderator,

Thank you for this chance.

This seems to be a major problem for freelancers in Kenya for whom the majority are paid via PayPal. I learned this after I reached out to a few friends and via social media. We believe we’re being victimised for whatever reason or systems you have running. This is a plea from Kenyans and not just me as an individual.

I have had a PayPal account for over 6 years, mostly more. It has been active at least weekly. I was recently asked by PayPal to give copies of my physical address and National Identity card (government issued). I provided the same, which I had previously done years ago when opening the account. The only difference is that my national identity had slightly changed from the original (which I had to have replaced) that I submitted but it was still issued by the government. I also have an issue where by the government gives my DOB as the year as I was born and no month or day. Nonetheless I got my account verified all the same.

Upon doing this I received a very strange from you saying “PayPal appeal denied …. For safety and security reasons … my account was closed”.  I have funds in the account already which I cannot access due to this. Your customer care support in Facebook has not been the least helpful in getting me to access my accounts. I even do 95% of my transactions using either my laptop or my phone, normally on my home Wi-Fi (being a freelancer).

I have had a terrible Christmas, wasn’t able to see my mum, and grandma because you froze my accounts and my rent is overdue. The only funds I currently have can only be paid via PayPal from Freelance companies such as UpWork.com and others. I am afraid to work because I have no means of accessing whatever pay I might get. It’s very demoralizing.

1. What I would like to ask is first and foremost, please let me access my account and withdraw all my funds. If you wish to close it after that then, that is unfair and inhumane in a country of youth struggling to just earn a living, but it is your choice.
  2. If you can review the status of my account and open it that would be great. I wish you’d do this for most Kenyans youth whom you’ve closed their accounts as many are very depressed and sad because we just want to earn a living. Please take a review of this matter.
  3. If there’s something specifically wrong not just a broad statement of saying “for security issues”, tell us. We just want to get paid for the work we’ve put in nothing more, nothing less. We’ve never complained about your fair fees or turnover times. We just want conduit to earn money from our clients and PayPal is not only the best option but only one for a great majority of us. E love PayPal, when accessible.
  4. This problem started when PayPal developed a means of transferring money directly to mobile payment option called Mpesa via local Telco Safaricom instead of through banks which takes days and are generally more expensive and inaccessible. I do not how true this is but that’s when I’m hearing the problem started when Safaricom gave us that option and I’m sure almost all of us jumped at it. Records in Kenya show this single Telco holds my individual accounts than all the banks in Kenya combined.

This is my plea again, 1) please let me access my final funds and transfer all my money to myself in cash, 2) please consider permanently reopening my account, and finally 3) please look into this issue for all Kenyans youth whom you’ve really been inhumane when doing this.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martin

Hi @wanjalamarvin

Welcome to our Community Q&A session.

It seems your post was delayed from being processed to this session, hence the delay in my response.  I understand your frustration, but I cannot comment on your account or any other person or groups account. If a decision to permanently limit an account, it is made after a careful review.  I cannot not take any direct action on accounts and any appeal must be made directly though our support methods. Our team on Facebook are also limited on the information they can provide, so it would be best your call or send a message via the Help Centre on your account.

In regards to our new partners, I can only think that many Kenyan PayPal customers have welcomed their introduction, as they have really helped many people get access to there funds quicker and safer.

Martin

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martin

Hi @bdbvb

Welcome to our Community Q&A Session!

I am sorry for the delayed response. In such cases, it would be best to contact out Technical Support team directly . You can sign up to our Merchant Technical Support Help Centre here. You could look at our Merchant Integration Technical Support Community or contact our Technical advisers on Twitter @PayPal_MTS . Here you will get assistance to fit your needs on such ongoing issues. When you sign up to the Help Centre you can place your query which will be allocated to a dedicated technical support agent , who will follow up on your issue directly with you.

Thanks

Martin

Login to Me Too

JPN_
Contributor
Contributor

I've been recently limited to due to significant changes, I submitted photo ID and proof needed but my account hasn't been reviewed yet. When can I expect it to be reviewed? It's already been over 48 hours.

Is there also anything I can do to not get limited again or even locked when selling a lot of products?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martin

Hi @JPN_

Welcome to our Community Q&A session.

I apologise for the delayed response. As I cannot discuss account specific issues on this platform, I will not be able to provide a detailed response. Normally, once all the requested information has been supplied, it usually takes 24-72 hours for a review to take place. If you have not completed all the steps it will not get reviewed within this timeframe. I would suggest contact our support to see if the review can be expedited. To contact customer service, please click Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page for contact options, or reach out by Facebook or Twitter.

Usually whilst such a review is taking place, you should still be able to receive funds from sales. Also to reduce the possibility of this happening , I would suggest that you make sure the activity and sales on the account are easily reviewed and it is clear what is being sold and the processes around the sales are under control. This would mean making sure there are few disputes or claims open , items are shipped or supplied with a reasonable timeframe and generally transparency is expected in listings and shipping process.

Thanks

Martin

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martin

PayPal Community Q&A - December 21, 2018 - Closed - PayPal Community

Hi everybody!

Today's Community Q&A is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal. We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Forum User Agreement and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This event is a regular feature every Wednesday from 1pm to 2pm PT and Friday from 4pm to 5pm GMT, so if you missed us this time, please feel free to stop by in the future! 

Martin

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

JPN_
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the help, I also have a question about a hold I have. I've sent the digital good already and he attempted to take the money back for the 2nd time yesterday. The first time was in my favor. How do you think this will play out, will he keep being able to open a dispute and will I ever be able to get the money if he doesn't confirm the receipt and continues to open a dispute?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martin

@JPN_

No, they can't continuously open disputes. They can open on for not receiving an item, then it hey receive the item and if it is not as described another claim can be opened. After that no further dispute can be opened on PayPal. But , there is still a possibility that they could go to their bank or card issuer and file a chargeback. In such cases the funds would be held again. You will fin more information here on our protection policies here and details around the dispute process here.

Thanks

Martin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.