PayPal Community Q&A - January 23, 2019 - Closed

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our semi-weekly Community Q&A on Wednesday, January 23rd, from 1-2 pm PT (4-5 pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the Q&A is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Q&A works:

The Q&A opens at 1 pm PT. Once the Q&A is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post in the Q&A, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the Q&A, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe. Smiley Happy 

During the Q&A, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time. 

At 2 pm PT, the Q&A will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the Q&A by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi everybody!

Today's Community Q&A is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal. We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Forum User Agreement and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This event is a regular feature every Wednesday from 1pm to 2pm PT and Friday from 4pm to 5pm GMT, so if you missed us this time, please feel free to stop by in the future! 

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

suter

I have a negative balance on my account, I made a payment last week on my paypal credit account and a payment came out of my bank account for the payment plus the negative balance. I didn't think they could pull money without my authorization but I also haven't been able to get a response to my emails asking about it. I had a live chat window pop up for a little while yesterday morning but before I could ask about it the window disappeared and it said we are unavailable to chat right now. Does anyone know if it is possible that they pulled money and also if the chat feature is something that is supposed to be available all of the time? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@suter wrote:

I have a negative balance on my account, I made a payment last week on my paypal credit account and a payment came out of my bank account for the payment plus the negative balance. I didn't think they could pull money without my authorization but I also haven't been able to get a response to my emails asking about it. I had a live chat window pop up for a little while yesterday morning but before I could ask about it the window disappeared and it said we are unavailable to chat right now. Does anyone know if it is possible that they pulled money and also if the chat feature is something that is supposed to be available all of the time? 

Hi @suter,

I'm sorry to hear that the drafting of the payment amount plus the negative balance amount surprised you. During a payment made from an account that is negative, there is messaging posted that the amount to be taken from the payment method will include the total amount that is negative along with the amount for the transaction. This would be acknowledged at the time of submitting the payment.

I'm also sorry to hear that the chat window went away when you were trying to use it. The availability of the chat feature may be subject to the availability of representatives to field those questions. When the chat feature isn't available, the email, phone, and social media options are still available. 

I hope this helps clarify things.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

suter

I didn't get that message, I have for other transactions I have tried but it didn't give me that message this time and the payment shows up in my activity for just the amount of the credit payment and still shows pending. I sent an email yesterday and got an automated response that I replied too but still haven't received a reply. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@suter wrote:

I didn't get that message, I have for other transactions I have tried but it didn't give me that message this time and the payment shows up in my activity for just the amount of the credit payment and still shows pending. I sent an email yesterday and got an automated response that I replied too but still haven't received a reply. 

Hi @suter,

Thank you for clarifying. If the payment is just for the amount of the negative balance and not for the negative balance in addition to another payment, it sounds like a balance recovery associated with a transaction where the payment method failed both times it was tried.

If the original payment was bank funded and the bank declined the payment due to insufficient funds twice, the backup card would be used. If that card also failed, then the balance would become negative and the amount associated with that transaction would be recovered at a later date. 

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

suter

The payment on my paypal account is showing just the $100 payment I made but the draft from my bank account is for that plus the negative balance but I can't see the difference anywhere in my paypal account, it is still showing as a negative balance. The original transaction that led to the negative balance was bank funded and has been tried at least twice. I have been receiving emails about the negative balance but nothing that has said they will try to pull it from another source. Should I just keep waiting for an email or trying to call? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@suter wrote:

The payment on my paypal account is showing just the $100 payment I made but the draft from my bank account is for that plus the negative balance but I can't see the difference anywhere in my paypal account, it is still showing as a negative balance. The original transaction that led to the negative balance was bank funded and has been tried at least twice. I have been receiving emails about the negative balance but nothing that has said they will try to pull it from another source. Should I just keep waiting for an email or trying to call? 

Hi @suter,

It sounds like the first scenario we discussed. The negative balance will be rectified on your PayPal account when the funds finish transferring from the bank. This can take several days. If the transaction only happened at your bank within the last few days, I'd give it a few more days to clear to your balance before contacting either your bank or PayPal. It's not common, but if 14 days go by without the funds reaching your PayPal account, your bank can initiate a trace for the missing funds.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Simplydiva
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there!

Hope you or someone can help me.

1) My User Interface is different and missing links. "PayPal Balance" is missing from my Summary page from the Web as well as my app. In fact, it's nowhere to be found! Even when I have a zero balance, it usually shows that. But it's gone now.

2) The Statements to PDF drop down is missing from my Activity page too. I can no longer find a link for that feature either. So, how can I download my statements?

Did I inadvertently change my view or something?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@Simplydiva wrote:

Hi there!

Hope you or someone can help me.

1) My User Interface is different and missing links. "PayPal Balance" is missing from my Summary page from the Web as well as my app. In fact, it's nowhere to be found! Even when I have a zero balance, it usually shows that. But it's gone now.

2) The Statements to PDF drop down is missing from my Activity page too. I can no longer find a link for that feature either. So, how can I download my statements?

Did I inadvertently change my view or something?

Hi @Simplydiva,

Great questions! I'm sorry to hear there's missing options from your Summary page and with downloading your activity. This could be related to your browser being out of date, or using a browser that doesn't fully support our website. I would advise updating your browser, or switching browsers to ensure that isn't the issue. If not, it may be an interface issue, and your best option would be to reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter to report the issue in more detail so that we can have the issue resolved.

This wouldn't be an option that you would change in your settings, so it's definitely either an issue with the browser or something going on with the website that needs to be fixed. Please let us know if there's still an issue after you check the browser options. Thanks!

- Ashley M

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.