PayPal Community Q&A - February 13, 2019 - Closed

PayPal_Olivia

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our semi-weekly Community Q&A on Wednesday, February 13th, from 1-2 pm PT (4-5 pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the Q&A is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Q&A works:

The Q&A opens at 1 pm PT. Once the Q&A is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post in the Q&A, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the Q&A, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe. Smiley Happy 

During the Q&A, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time. 

At 2 pm PT, the Q&A will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the Q&A by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

PayPal_Olivia

@dwman113 wrote:

So you're saying you can't provide any solution for me? I looked at the tips you suggestion and they do not help me. 

Link below is example of many people with similar hold time issue. Does Paypal not see this as a problem?

https://www.google.com/search?q=paypal+long+hold+time&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS756US757&oq=paypal+long+hold+t...

Hi @dwman113,

I am very sorry for the hold time that you're experiencing. That length of time is not typical, but it can happen from time to time. I am also sorry for the inconvenience experienced by my inability to provide account-specific assistance via the forum. For the protection of all of our members, all public help can only be general information. Anything account-specific must be discussed in private channels, such as Facebook PM, Twitter DM, phone, email, or chat (where available).

I am sorry to hear that the troubleshooting steps did not reveal a problem that could be easily resolved. If the security system is preventing the payment, it may not be possible to intervene to allow the payment even once customer service is reached. If there have been a lot of attempts in a row, the system may not allow the payment even with customer service intervention.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

JillGa03
Contributor
Contributor

I see address requirement mentioned previously, but is there a legal reason that address information is optional? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@JillGa03 wrote:

I see address requirement mentioned previously, but is there a legal reason that address information is optional? 

Hey @JillGa03,

Thanks for stopping by our Q&A today. I'm not quite sure what you're asking or referring to - do you mind providing more information regarding your question and the address requirement you've mentioned so that I can help? Thank you!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

JillGa03
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response.  Currently, we have a 'paypal' button on our church website.  When members are transferred to complete the paypal transaction, they get the following option: 

Capture.JPG

I'm wondering if there  is a legal reason this was changed?  We are struggling and trying to find a workaround, but don't know it's origin.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@JillGa03 wrote:

Thank you for the quick response.  Currently, we have a 'paypal' button on our church website.  When members are transferred to complete the paypal transaction, they get the following option: 

Capture.JPG

I'm wondering if there  is a legal reason this was changed?  We are struggling and trying to find a workaround, but don't know it's origin.

Hey @JillGa03,

Thanks for clarifying! I did a little digging into this and here's what I was able to find out:

The change to the donation button was done within the last year where we gave the option to provide an address. This was to give charities the option to send thank yous or provide information for taxes at the end of the year. Providing an address is not legally required, but we had requests for this from charities and 501(c)(3)s so that they could thank their contributors.

At this time, this isn't a feature that can be turned off. The button is created this way purposefully, and customers have to view this check option to continue through the payment process. There also isn't a way to make providing an address required - it's up to each individual contributor.

I'm happy to take your feedback regarding this feature and forward it through - we're always looking to improve our processes and features to ensure a more seamless experience for all our users. I apologize for any inconvenience the option may cause.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

JillGa03
Contributor
Contributor

Super helpful reply. You are correct, my data entry staff say that it changed last year. 

For us, it makes it extremely hard to match member names consistently, the address is additional verification that we are applying gifts to the correct member.  In our world, requiring the address is a necessity as we are currently forced to duplicate records when we are unsure.  The end of the year process for contributions then spreads gifts through a few records.  No, not for everyone, but often enough.  With duplicated names and data entry staff who may not be familiar with a new email - new records will be created, just in case.  We would love to see this removed for our organization or defaulted on.  Thank you for your help.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@JillGa03 wrote:

Super helpful reply. You are correct, my data entry staff say that it changed last year. 

For us, it makes it extremely hard to match member names consistently, the address is additional verification that we are applying gifts to the correct member.  In our world, requiring the address is a necessity as we are currently forced to duplicate records when we are unsure.  The end of the year process for contributions then spreads gifts through a few records.  No, not for everyone, but often enough.  With duplicated names and data entry staff who may not be familiar with a new email - new records will be created, just in case.  We would love to see this removed for our organization or defaulted on.  Thank you for your help.

Hi @JillGa03,

That feedback is extremely valuable, thank you for explaining the impact. Again, I'm very sorry that this being an option has a negative impact on your bookkeeping, and I can appreciate the time and work that goes into keeping all this information up-to-date and accurate. I'll ensure this is forwarded through for review. I hope you have a great rest of your day! 🙂

- Ashley M

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Thank you to everyone for participating in this week's Q&A session!

The weekly Q&A session is now closed. All thread content will remain viewable, but locked. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the next hour.

If you missed chatting with us today, please come back Friday, February 15th at 4pm GMT, or next week on Wednesday, February 20th at 1pm PT. We'd love to meet you!

See you then!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.