PayPal Community Chat - September 19, 2018 - Closed

PayPal_Olivia

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our semi-weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, September 19th, from 1-2 pm PT (4-5 pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board. As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Chat works:

The chat opens at 1 pm PT. Once the chat is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post in the chat, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the chat, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe. Smiley Happy

During the chat, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time.

At 2 pm PT, the chat will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the chat by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post. See you then!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

deborahs14
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. I checked all the things you mentioned and it's still trying to charge me $5.00. I was initially trying to give them money in USD but even when I changed it to CAD, it still wants to charge me the fee. Before I changed it to CAD, the currency of the recipient was set to PHP by default. Is that a factor too?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@deborahs14 wrote:

Hello. I checked all the things you mentioned and it's still trying to charge me $5.00. I was initially trying to give them money in USD but even when I changed it to CAD, it still wants to charge me the fee. Before I changed it to CAD, the currency of the recipient was set to PHP by default. Is that a factor too?

Hi @deborahs14,

Thanks for checking! Yes, if the receiver's default currency is set to something other than CAD, it will try to charge you for a currency conversion. I would advise having the receiver either setting their primary currency to CAD, or (if they have a Business account) having them change their settings to accept payments in other currencies. I hope this helps!

If this doesn't resolve the issue, I would advise contacting us, or reaching out on Facebook or Twitter so that we can see what's going on and hopefully get the issue resolved.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

deborahs14
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, so even though the account is Canadian, since the default currency is not CAD, it would charge me the fee regardless?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@deborahs14 wrote:

Alright, so even though the account is Canadian, since the default currency is not CAD, it would charge me the fee regardless?

Hey @deborahs14,

Yes, depending on the receiver's settings, it's possible that the fee could be due to their primary balance being set as something other than what you're sending your payment in. It's also possible that the receiver doesn't actually have a Canadian PayPal account (this happens sometimes, the country is chosen incorrectly during set up). I would have the receiver check their country on their profile page. They can find this by clicking on the cog wheel at the top right of the page and looking at their addresses. If they're having trouble, they can contact us to help with the settings and checking the status of the account.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Brian1022
Please, please assist with trans# 7VB44588CX880721P. I accidentally sent funds to unknown person, ph # off by one digit. I contacted this person who sent it right back, although he sent as if I'm a seller. I dont care about the fee, I just want my funds available to me now, it's been 2 weeks. The 21 day policy doesn't apply to me as theres no product or service. You can clearly see the funds were sent, immediately requested back, then sent back. I can't wait any longer. Please resolve. I can't add a tracking number as it doesn't exist nor does the person that sent it back know how to show its complete, these were only options given to me.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@Brian1022 wrote:
Please, please assist with trans# 7VB44588CX880721P. I accidentally sent funds to unknown person, ph # off by one digit. I contacted this person who sent it right back, although he sent as if I'm a seller. I dont care about the fee, I just want my funds available to me now, it's been 2 weeks. The 21 day policy doesn't apply to me as theres no product or service. You can clearly see the funds were sent, immediately requested back, then sent back. I can't wait any longer. Please resolve. I can't add a tracking number as it doesn't exist nor does the person that sent it back know how to show its complete, these were only options given to me.

Hi @Brian1022,

Welcome to the chat! I regret that we are unable to provide account-specific assistance in the forum. I can, however, provide some general information.

If the receiver returned the funds as a goods or services payment, the funds would be held. The person's choice to select that option indicates that the payment is for a good or service, and PayPal would have no indication otherwise. 

Another option the person has is to issue a refund through the actual transaction, which is safer all around, as well. When the transaction is refunded directly, it means that a dispute cannot later be filed on either of the payments, which protects both parties. If the receiver did not have a refund option due to the delayed funds availability, they could have contacted PayPal to authorize a representative to reverse the payment.

I'm sorry that the choice made by the receiver complicates matters.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Olivia

If you haven't closed the thread yet then can i ask.

1. Where has the 'block echeque' option gone on the new style account as i can't find seller preferences anymore.

2. Where are currency conversion options gone as again I found manage currencies but its not in there.

3. Do folks in India have to have a business account to receive and withdraw?

Cheers

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@kernowlass wrote:

@PayPal_Olivia

1. Where has the 'block echeque' option gone on the new style account as i can't find seller preferences anymore.

2. Where are currency conversion options gone as again I found manage currencies but its not in there.

Cheers

Hi @kernowlass,

Thanks for joining the chat today. 🙂

1. You can view payment receiving preferences by following the steps listed here. I'm going to look into whether we removed the option to block eCheck payments, and I'll update you here when I have more information.

2. The steps to convert currencies can be found here

3. No, Indian accounts do not need to be Business accounts to receive and withdraw money. The only stipulation is that all incoming payments to an Indian account must be marked as Goods & Services.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

- Ashley M

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@PayPal_AshleyM wrote:

@kernowlass wrote:

@PayPal_Olivia

Cheers

Hi @kernowlass,

Thanks for joining the chat today. 🙂

1. You can view payment receiving preferences by following the steps listed here. I'm going to look into whether we removed the option to block eCheck payments, and I'll update you here when I have more information.

2. The steps to convert currencies can be found here

3. No, Indian accounts do not need to be Business accounts to receive and withdraw money. The only stipulation is that all incoming payments to an Indian account must be marked as Goods & Services.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

- Ashley M

Hey @kernowlass,

I checked into it, the option should still be available under the steps I provided. It's only available to change in Business accounts, and only affects non-eBay payments. Hope this helps!

- Ashley M

Login to Me Too

Josh_M_nyc

Hi,

So I'm in the middle of a difficult transaction that has not gone smoothly for either me, the buyer, or the seller.  

Using the price guarantee option, I bought an item from a private seller.  Unfortunately, my shipping address on paypal wasn't updated the way I thought it was and the package got returned to sender.  We chatted via email and I offered to pay for shipping a second time to a corrected address.  Seller said it would ship the next day.  I emailed for a tracking number and a week later I got a message saying that he was sorry but the post office had damaged the item and he was fighting with them for the cost of damages and that he'd refund me - I got a refund for shipping, only.  So far, no refund for the original purchase.  So, am I within my rights to ask for a refund for the original purchase?

thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.