PayPal Community Chat - 3/14 - Closed

PayPal_Olivia

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, March 14th, from 1-2 pm PT (4-5 pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Help & Contact" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Chat works:

The chat opens at 1 pm PT. Once the chat is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post in the chat, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the chat, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe.

During the chat, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time. 

At 2 pm PT, the chat will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the chat by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everybody!

This week's Wednesday Community Chat is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal. We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Help Forum Policy and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This chat is a regular feature every Wednesday from 1pm to 2pm PT, so if you missed us this week, please feel free to stop by in the future! 

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

POEDCustomer

Here's my issue: My paypal was limited about 7 months ago and was told that they were unable to verify the identity documents I uploaded so my funds would be held for 180 days. I should note I found several articles online that question the legality of this practice alone. But it gets even worse. After the 180 days passed and I tried to request a check from my paypal balance. I moved since then so I tried updating my address and requesting a check. Got
an error message saying they weren't able to process my request please try again later. I called paypal and they said because the address was brand new, I wouldn't be able to request a check to that address and recommended I tried adding a bank account.

So I tried adding a bank account and got another "sorry, we're not able to process your request, please try again later" So I called paypal again and this time was told the agent wanted me to give them my Social Security Number over the phone to verify my identity which I declined because, well, it's my social security number. Some time when all this happened, I noticed another limitation was placed on my account when I received an email saying "IMPORTANT- we've noticed unusual activity on your account". When I called again, I was told I would need to upload a photo ID before they would let me withdraw the money. I already provided my photo ID at the time my account was limited initially and they rejected it then saying they were unable to verify it. That's part of why my account was even limited in the first place and now you want me to upload it again even though you already rejected it once?

And on top of that, something I recently noticed, search "paypal data breach" in google and you'll see some ineresting info about users data getting compromised they entered on paypal. And now they want my Social Security Number and/or my Photo ID and/or whatever else before they'll let me withdraw the funds? But THAT'S NOT ALL! They also apparently sell your personal data to over 600 different companies. Hmmmm. I'll pass. They say they're having trouble verifying my identity but if they have half a brain they should know I'm the account holder. I've sent several emails to them
about this and they're all from the same email listed on my account. And every time I've called them it's been from the same phone number listed on my account. So they should know it's me. There should be no reason why any documents should be needed after the 180 day time frame has already passed. I just want the ability to withdraw my money. Either send me a check to the updated address on my account or let me add a bank account so I can withdraw the funds. No more documents.

This is by far the worst company I've ever dealt with. Once I get my money, I'll be glad I don't have to deal with this company anymore. Is it your policy to make it as hard as possible for people to withdraw their money?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@POEDCustomer wrote:

Here's my issue: My paypal was limited about 7 months ago and was told that they were unable to verify the identity documents I uploaded so my funds would be held for 180 days. I should note I found several articles online that question the legality of this practice alone. But it gets even worse. After the 180 days passed and I tried to request a check from my paypal balance. I moved since then so I tried updating my address and requesting a check. Got
an error message saying they weren't able to process my request please try again later. I called paypal and they said because the address was brand new, I wouldn't be able to request a check to that address and recommended I tried adding a bank account.

So I tried adding a bank account and got another "sorry, we're not able to process your request, please try again later" So I called paypal again and this time was told the agent wanted me to give them my Social Security Number over the phone to verify my identity which I declined because, well, it's my social security number. Some time when all this happened, I noticed another limitation was placed on my account when I received an email saying "IMPORTANT- we've noticed unusual activity on your account". When I called again, I was told I would need to upload a photo ID before they would let me withdraw the money. I already provided my photo ID at the time my account was limited initially and they rejected it then saying they were unable to verify it. That's part of why my account was even limited in the first place and now you want me to upload it again even though you already rejected it once?

And on top of that, something I recently noticed, search "paypal data breach" in google and you'll see some ineresting info about users data getting compromised they entered on paypal. And now they want my Social Security Number and/or my Photo ID and/or whatever else before they'll let me withdraw the funds? But THAT'S NOT ALL! They also apparently sell your personal data to over 600 different companies. Hmmmm. I'll pass. They say they're having trouble verifying my identity but if they have half a brain they should know I'm the account holder. I've sent several emails to them
about this and they're all from the same email listed on my account. And every time I've called them it's been from the same phone number listed on my account. So they should know it's me. There should be no reason why any documents should be needed after the 180 day time frame has already passed. I just want the ability to withdraw my money. Either send me a check to the updated address on my account or let me add a bank account so I can withdraw the funds. No more documents.

This is by far the worst company I've ever dealt with. Once I get my money, I'll be glad I don't have to deal with this company anymore. Is it your policy to make it as hard as possible for people to withdraw their money?

Hey @POEDCustomer,

I'm very sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far trying to withdraw your funds and the trouble you've had when contacting us. That definitely isn't the experience we want for our customers.

In situations where accounts are permanently limited, changes to the account after that point are limited, and this can sometimes cause frustration when trying to complete your withdrawal. In some cases, we may be able to verify your identity over the phone, in which case we may be able to help with the changes necessary to complete the withdrawal process.

Regarding the unusual activity, if you've moved since the restriction was placed, we are more than likely seeing different login locations on the account, and are therefore worried about your account's security. This can appear that someone else is trying to log in and withdraw your funds, which is why we request the identity verification.

I understand you haven't had much luck over the phone, so you may want to reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter to see what we can do to help. 

Also, I'd like to provide clarification regarding a data breach. PayPal's subsidiary (TIO Networks, an acquired company) had security issues regarding their customers and TIO Network information specifically. You can find more information regarding that here.

Hopefully the withdrawal issue is resolved soon, and I wish you the best of luck!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

POEDCustomer

I actually contacted them on facebook too. That was over 2 weeks ago. Still no resolution. Horrendous customer service. I do complete the normal verification process required when calling paypal. Entering the last 4 digits of card number on the account that's asked in the phone prompt and always call from the phone number listed on my account. It should be pretty obvious it's the account holder who's making the call unless someone managed to hack my cell phone. lol I honestly feel like the only reason you're doing this is either to 1) sell the information to other companies or 2) make it as hard as possible to withdraw the money, either hoping I'll give up or you can hold onto it longer to continue collecting interest on it. I'm aware of that practice done by paypal too. I also see from searching online that I'm not the first person who's had the exact same experience.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@POEDCustomer wrote:

I actually contacted them on facebook too. That was over 2 weeks ago. Still no resolution. Horrendous customer service. I do complete the normal verification process required when calling paypal. Entering the last 4 digits of card number on the account that's asked in the phone prompt and always call from the phone number listed on my account. It should be pretty obvious it's the account holder who's making the call unless someone managed to hack my cell phone. lol I honestly feel like the only reason you're doing this is either to 1) sell the information to other companies or 2) make it as hard as possible to withdraw the money, either hoping I'll give up or you can hold onto it longer to continue collecting interest on it. I'm aware of that practice done by paypal too. I also see from searching online that I'm not the first person who's had the exact same experience.

Hi @POEDCustomer,

Oh no - the wait to get through can definitely be frustrating. I apologize that you've been dealing with this issue for such an extended period of time. We work through contacts on Facebook and Twitter in the order they're received, so if the issue hasn't been resolved there just yet, hopefully it will be taken care of soon.

I understand you don't want to provide the additionally requested information for verification. To clarify, when I mentioned verifying your identity over the phone, we use additional steps and procedures to make sure it's you, beyond the basic validation of information when you first call (giving the last four of a financial, calling from a connected number, etc.). This process can be an inconvenience, however we want to ensure the real account holder is receiving the money, and not someone who may have taken over the account, which is where your move may have come into play.

In this circumstance, although I wish I could be of more assistance, this issue is something that requires a direct look at the account in question. As we wouldn't want your personal information shared over a public form, and it's no something I'd be able to discuss with you here, the best option is to either wait to hear back from us on social media, or to reach out again over the phone to see if we can get your details verified.

I also want to mention that PayPal does not sell customer information, and this is not something we've ever done. You can find more information on our Privacy Policy here

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

pinkm0827

Hi,

My question is that I see lots of cbd items for sale on ebay all of them accepting paypal yet I was under the impression that paypal doesn't accept businesses or payment for CBD from hemp even though it is 100% legal ?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@pinkm0827 wrote:

Hi,

My question is that I see lots of cbd items for sale on ebay all of them accepting paypal yet I was under the impression that paypal doesn't accept businesses or payment for CBD from hemp even though it is 100% legal ?

Hi @pinkm0827,

Thank you for joining the chat! You're absolutely correct, PayPal does not allow the sale of CBD. If you see violations of the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, you can report it to the email address at the bottom of that page. (For versions in countries other than the US, you can navigate directly to the Acceptable Use Policy by clicking Legal at the bottom of any PayPal page.)

Thank you for checking in!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

pinkm0827

There are over 600 listing on ebay offering paypal as payment for cbd products.   Paypal might want to re evaluate their policy on a 100% legal supplement as deemed by the supreme court of the united states in 2005 in DEA vs. Dr. Bronners soaps.       Wanted to be sure about paypal as we are selling hemp oil and are searching a payment portal.  Thank you.  

Login to Me Too

pinkm0827

and this:  

The 9th Circuit ruled in February 2004 that the DEA had ignored Congress's exemption to the Controlled Substance Act (CSA), which specifically excludes hemp seed, fiber and oil from government regulation, and agreed with the HIA that hemp seeds contain just minor traces of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), the active ingredient in marijuana -- much like poppy seeds contain insignificant amounts of opiates.

On July 2, 2004, the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit denied the DEA's petition for a re-hearing of the case. The DEA had the option of appealing the decision to the US Supreme Court, but the allotted time for an appeal expired on September 28, 2004. "There is no turning back," Steenstra said. "The court decision is now the law of the land, which makes it difficult for the DEA to try a new tactic to ban hemp."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.