PayPal Community Chat 11/27 - Closed

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Global Community Chat on Tuesday, November 6th, from 4 to 5 PM CDT (2-3 PM PDT). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This week's Global Community Chat is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal, get to know you, or just have idle conversation.  We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Help Forum Policy and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This chat is a regular feature every Tuesday from 4-5 PM CDT, so if you missed us this week, please feel free to stop by in the future! We want to get to know you!

Today, let's talk about the first time you were introduced to the internet.  Was it in school? As a hobby? What sort of activities did you enjoy in your early days online? Please keep it appropriate and let's have fun!

Login to Me Too

_Zazu
Contributor
Contributor

My first internet experience is one I can remember only slightly and it was talking a bunch of nonsense in IRC. The first memorable experience however was the first login to AOL and hearing "Welcome!" blasting through my speakers.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@PayPal_Zazu wrote:

My first internet experience is one I can remember only slightly and it was talking a bunch of nonsense in IRC. The first memorable experience however was the first login to AOL and hearing "Welcome!" blasting through my speakers.

Good to see you Zazu! I remember the first time I had my own internet connection at home and I heard my first notification like that.  Before that, it was all telnetting, and UNIX servers, and there were green screens everywhere.... I think my first experience with the 'net falls under that umbrella, but I do recall my first GUI was in a college computer lab.  I understood telnetting, but I didn't get the concept of a search engine immediately.  It just seemed, well, too easy! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

@PayPal_Adrian wrote:

Today, let's talk about the first time you were introduced to the internet.  Was it in school? As a hobby? What sort of activities did you enjoy in your early days online? Please keep it appropriate and let's have fun!

Wow, that was a ways back!

I started out in the mid 90s, for purely recreational reasons, using IRC and Usenet. Everything was unix and ircII and all kinds of  text-only stuff. Then came the AWESOME NEW BREAKTHROUGHS for websites, like blinking text and tables and then even frames!

Ahh, memories!

- Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi everyone,

I can't remember the first time I used the internet.  It bugs me that I don't remember but I think it happened when I was very young.  One thing that I'll never forget is the modem sound.  That one sequence of sounds will overwrite any early internet memory in my head.  I bet if the internet had smells, that would probably trigger memories for me.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@PayPal_Frank wrote:
One thing that I'll never forget is the modem sound.  That one sequence of sounds will overwrite any early internet memory in my head.  I bet if the internet had smells, that would probably trigger memories for me.

Some ATMs still dial in. I always have a nostalgic moment when that happens.

Remember ascii art?!

/|_______________________________/|

||                              | |

||      o                       | |

||     o            o           | |

||      o            o          | |

||       <><          o         | |

||                  ><>         | |

|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|/

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@PayPal_Olivia wrote:

Some ATMs still dial in. I always have a nostalgic moment when that happens.

Remember ascii art?!

|                                                                       |

|                      o                                               |

|                     o                                   o           |

|                       o                                   o         |

|                         <><                            o         |

|                                                      ><>          |

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ |

That's pretty good, although - it looks like it may leak soon.  See the glass starting to break on the right side? Smiley Indifferent

No fish were harmed in the making of this ascii art.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

PayPal_Adrian wrote:

That's pretty good, although - it looks like it may leak soon.  See the glass starting to break on the right side? Smiley Indifferent

No fish were harmed in the making of this ascii art.

I actually edited and improved it and gave it depth. The side is wavy because it's not fixed-width. Lemme see if I can do something about that.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

_Zazu
Contributor
Contributor

I am slightly concerned at the lack of "deep sea diver bubble man" in your fish tank.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.