Community Chat 4/18/2012

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, April 18th, from 4 to 5 PM CDT (2-3 PM PDT). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This week's Community Chat is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal, get to know you, or just have idle conversation.  We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Help Forum Policy and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This chat is a regular feature every Wednesday from 4-5 PM CST, so if you missed us this week, please feel free to stop by in the future! We want to get to know you!

To start off our chat today, tell us about your favorite music, movie, or fad from the 1980's.  Not your decade? Choose one! We still want to hear!

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

That is a no brainer for me! Well, maybe not I have a few favorites.

I could watch Footloose, over and over and over again, it never gets old. I absolutely love the New version that came out.

~Misty

Login to Me Too

xmika03
Contributor
Contributor
Hi

I sold my dSLR on Ebay for total price: $450.00 USD. $15 of that was supposed to be for shipping. Paypal is ONLY giving me $436.65 because of some Express Checkout payment that the BUYER chose, not me. As a result, I lose 13.35 of MY money because of them! And also, Paypal released no money for shipping so I had to pay my pocket money.

It's not fair for me to have to pay THEIR fee and then pay THEIR shipping. and THEN I have to lose 9% of my money from both shipping and the selling price. But there's barely any shipping money left. So I'm getting less than $400 most likely.

Here is a screenshot of the fees tinypic.com/r/fnvl6v/5

I think the buyer should have been fee'd, not me. So how do I go about getting my $13.35 back? I already contacted the buyer and they refuse to send me $13.35 though it's their fault.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi xmika03,

Thanks for coming in, and thank you for answering the icebreaker! I'll work on an answer for you and have it posted shortly.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi xmika03,

Thanks for your patience!

Fees are never charged to a buyer in a transaction for goods or services. A seller sets a price and specifies shipping, and the buyer can be confident that the price is exactly as advertised, with no hidden costs. Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option enjoy the benefit of a much larger number of potential buyers, enabling them to sell the item the first time, and for the right price.

I hope this helps clarify how the fees work with payments through PayPal. 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

xmika03
Contributor
Contributor

but why was I charged a fee of 13.35? I don't think it's fair. I had to pay the fee and had no money from Paypal for shipping. I had to use my OWN money. So really, I lost 13.35 AND $15 of my own money to ship this out.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi xmika03,

The fee for receiving payments through PayPal is 2.9% + $0.30. For a payment of $450.00, the fee would be $13.35.

The cost of the shipping label is built into the payment you received. When the shipping portion is released, your out-of-pocket operating costs will be rectified.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

xmika03
Contributor
Contributor

I have a few questions so Ill number them

1)I should expect more than $435.35 when the money is released? Paypal said they will give me the money April 20th and on the homepage it says PayPal balance: $436.65 USD.

2) The paypal fee of 13.35 is seperate from the 9% fee Ebay will take from both my shipping and total price right?

3) There's only 2.65 left of the shipping so is Ebay going to take 9% from the 2.65? Or 9% from the the 15 that I paid with my money?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi xmika03,

Thank you for breaking it down for easier understanding. I'm happy to help clarify! 🙂

1) When the funds are released, you will receive $436.65. The $13.35 is the cost of using the PayPal service to receive your payment.

2) eBay's fees for listing your item are separate. PayPal's fees are only for receiving funds.

3) eBay's fees will come through your billing agreement. If there are funds in your PayPal balance, the payment will be made from those funds. If the balance is zero when the payment comes due, the backup funding source designated for the billing agreement will be used. You can also make a direct one-time payment in your eBay account. The amount charged will be figured from the final sale value. You can learn more about eBay's fees in the help section of their site.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please feel free to post your question in the About eBay section so the Community can help. It may also be helpful if you link back to your original post for reference.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.