Community Chat 1/22 - Closed

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Global Community Chat on Tuesday, January 22nd, from 4 to 5 PM CDT (2-3 PM PDT). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Scott444,

We're digging through your very detailed post. 🙂 Give us a little time and we'll have a reply for you. Thank you for finding us here.

Thanks!

- Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Scott444
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Olivia, I appreciate your time and effort, I know mine was a long post.

To clarify or summarize:

A UK seller can ship a $500 record album to me for about $35, including Insurance and Signature Confirmation via Registered Mail.  He is 100% protected from a fraudulent "Item Not Received" claim, because a U.S. post man will not hand over the package without getting a Signature.

As a U.S. seller, I cannot send that same package to the UK for less than $100, using one of the big three (UPS, FedEx or DHL).  Even if I send it Registered Mail Insured and pay for "Signature Confirmation", the USPS is only responsible for the package until it reaches the UK.  At that point, it will show online that the package reached the UK, but the UK post man will NOT obtain a "Signature Confirmation" because it's not part of the UK's "internal procedures".

Knowing this, criminals around the world are buying expensive things on eBay from U.S. Sellers.  This not only corrupts the Paypal system, but also eBay, because the second highest bidder never had a chance, when the criminal is able to bid whatever it takes to win — knowing he is going to get all of his money back when he files an "Item Not Received" claim.  Because he knows the U.S. Seller CANNOT get Signature Confirmation, and he knows that Paypal with side with him (the criminal, in this case) every single time, if the Seller cannot provide an online-viewable "Signature Confirmation" to Paypal.

This means U.S. sellers are in an untenable position, exposed to 100% risk, and the only possible way (that I have found so far) to protect ourselves is to use a Delivery Service (UPS, FedEx or DHL) that is so expensive that we cannot possibly compete.

Would you pay $100+ to have a record album sent to you?

That's the problem.  Nobody else will, either.

And the criminals know it, they know the U.S. seller is in a bind, and there's nothing we can do about it, and Paypal will back the Buyer up 100%.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Scott444,

Thank you for your detailed and considered post. You've identified some truths.

Like many other costs associated with doing business, the cost of tracking is part of the cost of doing business safely. The Seller Protection that is offered by PayPal requires proof of delivery, with proof of signature if over $250. This is because, should a chargeback arise from the buyer's credit card issuer, it is the information we will need in order to fight the chargeback on the seller's behalf.

The difficulties of international commerce apply to sellers who use any international venue, and any international payment processor. A merchant processing payments directly with a credit card merchant account will face exactly the same difficulties - without PayPal reviewing the purchase and preventing fraudulent payments. There are a number of benefits that a seller can gain by selecting PayPal as a payment processor, all of which help mitigate risk far more effectively. Check it out - I think you'll find that accepting PayPal offers more protection than most know! 🙂

- Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

An addendum, because I realize I didn't address your point about the disparity between the services offered in each country - you're absolutely correct. The practices and services offered by the destination country will dictate whether or not a signature is obtained upon delivery.

The postal service in one country may reliably obtain signature where the postal service in another country will not. One of the reasons that the shipping costs tend to be greater when using an international courier is that the employees of that company have custody of that package from start to finish.

Ultimately, the choices are up to you, the seller. It's a perfectly valid choice to maintain a domestic-only business, but shipping internationally is a popular choice because of the greater audience. Whether selling domestically or internationally, we encourage sellers to choose the shipping company that is the best fit for their business. While you are not limited to the choices offered through PayPal shipping, online tracking is a requirement, and that all-important signature confirmation is needed for the higher-priced orders.

I wish you the best in your sales. I really do hope that you find a good balance of safety and cost-effectiveness for the sales you are making. Your success is instrumental to our success!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

tinuzzo

Hi there,

my first time here. This is after all not a real chat is it? I cannot see a chat applet 🙂

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

@tinuzzo wrote:

Hi there,

my first time here. This is after all not a real chat is it? I cannot see a chat applet 🙂

Welcome tinuzzo! 🙂

You're right, this isn't like a chat room but it's a forum topic that will receive answers in real time from our moderation staff so we like to think of it as a chat. 🙂  Let us know if you have any questions. We're happy to help!

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

tinuzzo

Yep, just posted my question above 🙂

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Whoops! Just saw your next post with the question. 🙂

@tinuzzo wrote:

Hi there,

when will you have a PHP wrapper for PayFlow API?

We have PayFlow SDKs for Java, OSCommerce and C#/.NET on this page: https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/documentation-tools/paypal-sdk-index

No PayPal made PHP wrappers but this post on our developer forums talks about potential work arounds.

I hope that helps in some small way!  I'll send feedback over to our PayFlow developer team too about PHP code samples and wrappers for PayFlow.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

tinuzzo

Thanks Frank!

I am using Gravity Forms for all the sites I implement online payments on, but their current PayPal Pro Addon only works with your version "3.0" aka "old" of "Pro".

Strange that the current one is called "2.0" and not "4.0", by the way 🙂

They say without the PHP wrapper it would take them longer to develop an addon that I can use.

So unless the customer has an old Pro account activated, my chnaces of using the "new" one with API on PHP, are zero.

Would be nice if you'd expedite that, as thousands of developers and site owners would use it.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

@tinuzzo wrote:

Thanks Frank!

I am using Gravity Forms for all the sites I implement online payments on, but their current PayPal Pro Addon only works with your version "3.0" aka "old" of "Pro".

Strange that the current one is called "2.0" and not "4.0", by the way 🙂

They say without the PHP wrapper it would take them longer to develop an addon that I can use.

So unless the customer has an old Pro account activated, my chnaces of using the "new" one with API on PHP, are zero.

Would be nice if you'd expedite that, as thousands of developers and site owners would use it.

It sounds like you're using PayPal Payments Pro (Payflow Edition) and Gravity Forms has support for PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payments)? (More info)  PayFlow used to be a separate service from PayPal Payments Pro and we also went through some rebranding that probably added some confusion with the version numbers. Sorry about that.  I'm a fan of PHP so I'm all for more PHP support and it definitely makes sense to add PayFlow resources for it in general. 🙂 We also do offer SDKs and code samples for the Direct version of Pro so there's definitely a precedence there.  I'll put some pressure on our developer support for you. 🙂

- Frank

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.