Changes in How We Archive Content

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

As every Community matures, some of the conversations inevitably become outdated and of no immediate interest to the members who frequent the site.  Starting on July 1st, we're going to begin moving posts from the previous six months to their respective place in The Archives.  I know this is a new process for both members and moderators, so you'll find answers to some of your questions below.

What is an Archive?

An Archive is a section of the Community where unused or potentially outdated material is curated and stored.

Can we still see and search content in the Archives?

Yes.

Where are the Archives?

The Archives can be accessed by clicking here, or after logging into the Community, scroll down and click on the category name.

Why are you doing this?

Ultimately, our Archiving efforts are driven by what's best for the Community.  First, it's important to note that we don't believe in removing appropriate content forever - you'll always be able to find and read Archived posts.

Older content can also contain materials that aren't relevant to the current environment of the Forum or the services PayPal offers.  Since the website can change rapidly, an answer from six months ago may not always be correct.  Archiving helps ensure the most easily accessible content is the most likely to be relevant. 

Archiving will also allow us to more easily review dated Community content.  This helps PayPal provide a more effective environment and service to our members - and ensure your voice is heard. 

The moderation staff already locks conversations that are over thirty days old without a new post.  How is this different?

We currently lock content that is older than 30 days as it isn't generating interest.  That content is still easily accessible because it may be relevant to ongoing or even new issues.  After six months, the likelihood that a solution remains relevant or of interest to the members decreases significantly.

When will this happen?

We will begin Archiving eligible content starting July 1st, 2012.

How often will this happen?

Twice a year, about a week after July 1st and January 1st.

What boards are affected?

Boards from the following categories will be archived:

• Help: Ask the Community (except Hot Topics)
  • Social: Meet the Community (except Community Events)
  • Your Voice: Improve the Community

Why aren't all categories and boards affected?

We elected not to Archive certain boards because their content is either regularly updated by staff or they are necessary to enhance certain Community features.

Why did you combine some boards in The Archives?

Some boards simply don't generate as much traffic as others, so we condensed them to maximize your experience.  We specifically chose not to combine any of the Help: Ask the Community boards; leaving them sorted by topic has significant benefits for someone interested in a specific area.

Why are there boards and categories in The Archives I don't recognize?

There have been different versions of the Community over the years.  In the Archives you'll find content from three different versions of the Community happily dozing away, safe and secure in their new homes. 

I hope this helps illuminate how this change will affect you and your Community.  If you have questions about this change, please feel free to ask!

Take care,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.