Lower fees would be the best ADVANTAGE they could give us

goodstuff
New Community Member

Between Ebay and PayPal I continue to get hammered with fees.

The best reward they could give us is to LOWER the service fees for their supposed "best" customers.   Most credit card companies do that....why can't PayPal?

I would rather have a 1% reduction in fees than any "prizes" or "rewards"

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

garuda

The high fees are a killer.

In honesty, I really don't like using paypal at all, but simply do to accept e-checks and Amex, which my other prcessor does not.

And as for this "Advantage" thing, I am not seeing any benifit at all. period.

I feel that 1% transaction fee is plenty.

What can we do to talk them down, eh?

Login to Me Too

minnichsmetals
Contributor
Contributor

This "advantage" program is actually only for being a high volume buyer, not seller...  You have to SPEND $5k or more a year, and your automatically invited into the program...  For sellers like is (which Im assuming you are since buyers dont pay fees), Paypal and Ebay do offer SOME discounts, based on performance, and so on... 

The lower fees are based on monthly income for paypal.   Once you hit the threshold, you simply need to apply to paypal, and request to begin being charged the "Merchant fees".  Once you are approved (which is immediately if you meet the monthly income requirement), you must maintain the intake of funds monthly, if you dont, you go back up to the normal fee rate, but then you are re evaluated again the next month, and will automatically go down again if you meet the requirements (no need to re apply).  I have been in a lower tier (2.5% + .30) due to the money we bring in every month for a few months now, and although it's not a huge decrease, you can definitely see the difference (especially with large payments).  They also have a program for ebay sellers who bring in a high volume of sales of $10 or less, its some sort of flat rate program, that really benefits some people (not us though..).  Work towards these goals, and then apply, if their gonna offer some relief on the fees, why not take it right!?  As for Ebay, if you maintain "Top Rated Seller" status, as I do (ebay name RandomSales22), you will receive 20% off of your entire invoice at the end of each month, which is a HUGE savings!  To be Top Rated on Ebay, you must be invited by Ebay, and you will only be invited if you bring in AND maintain (I believe) $3k per month, have like 99.8% positive feedback, and have less then two 1 or 2 star ratings for the year.  As soon as any of these are not met, your out of the program...  These are discounts that us as sellers have to earn, and have to maintain..  Please dont think Im totally happy with, or condone the super high fees, but I will say, if there is an opportunity to save money, it's better then nothing!  I hope I've been able to help a little bit, if so, feel free to click the thumbs up below, thanks!  PS. Below are the discounted fees, and thresholds you have to meet for the merchant rates.  Thanks,

Bob

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_fees-rate-about-outside&bn_r=m

Purchase payments received (monthly)Fee per transaction
$0.00 USD - $3,000.00 USD2.9% + $0.30 USD
$3,000.01 USD - $10,000.00 USD2.5% + $0.30 USD
$10,000.01 USD - $100,000.00 USD2.2% + $0.30 USD
> $100,000.00 USD1.9% + $0.30 USD
Login to Me Too

LookAtMe
Contributor
Contributor

Twice you have mentioned you get a 20% discount on your ENTIRE eBay monthly invoice.

You might want to use a calculator! The discount is ONLY on the ending fees for the item. Not the insertion, Not the extra fees like sub title or buy it now option on auctions, Not on the shipping fees and NOT on your store fee.

And now eBay will be taking that away if I choose to NOT include a 14 day return policy! **bleep** you eBay! I'll save more than that 20% on postage for idiot buyers who "change" their mind after using the item I just sold them.

NO THANK YOU!!

Login to Me Too

DCEI

We get much better rates via our merchant account with Wells Fargo. The only reason we offer PayPal as an alternative checkout option, is that some customers still think PayPal provides them added buyer protection online. Most CC companies have much better buyer protection programs already in place for their clients.

We've also found that most scammers and cheats love using PayPal to get something for nothing. When possible, we urge all our customers to use our secure PCI compliant checkout to avoid delays in shipping and processing.

And over the last 10+ years using PayPal as a buyer, I've lost count how many times my company has been **bleep**ed over due to PayPal policies when filing a claim.  And because of it, we no longer purchase items from sellers outside the United States who don't offer expedited shipping.

Login to Me Too

minnichsmetals
Contributor
Contributor

WHat you forget to mention is the very high "set up" fees that banks charge (most of the time its $100's!).  What you also dont mention is the month charges you have to pay with bank merchant accounts (paypal is free), and the fact that many require minimum monthly incomes in your merchant account..   I guess you can out weigh the good and bad on both sides, but Id rather only pay when I get paid, and not if I dont make any, or under a certain amout 1 month...  To each his own though right?

Login to Me Too

DCEI

So we can agree to disagree. I do agree that the setup & monthly fees of a standard merchant account are a consideration. However, if you're a high volume merchant with a long-term established merchant account, you are generally rewarded with more favorable rates.

That being said, paypal was quite beneficial during our early years including the start up phase. In the early days of internet commerce, sites with paypal were the only ones I'd purchase from (although that has definitely changed with the advent of requiring PCI compliance). I've recommended paypal to dozens if not hundreds of people over the years, and continue to do so.

I'm sure PayPal is a wonderful asset for your small business and many others alike, but for larger businesses the added benefits of PCI compliant accounts for chargeback protection, fraud,customer service, etc. is definitely worth it.

Although we continue to include paypal as a payment choice to our customers, I'm acquainted with several other merchants who absolutely will no longer offer the paypal option after being burned by paypal's inability or unwillingness to assist when fraud has occurred.

Login to Me Too

LookAtMe
Contributor
Contributor

you sound more like you work for paypal or ebay. In your posts you boost of all the money you make selling on ebay then you say you're scared to commit to a different processor so you won't have to pay any fees if you don't sell anything. Total BS on your part.

So maybe do your homework and see what the charges are these days. ebay and paypal are pretty much one company. Meaning ebay makes sure paypal is the major player in processing payments.

As a seller I can no longer post in the item description that I take money orders. The only person it hurts is the buyer. No maybe the seller. No it really hurts paypal and ebay as they lose the fees that oh so dealy love to charge.

Login to Me Too

LookAtMe
Contributor
Contributor

I agree! No INTL buyers unless they pay for tracking. These scammers know they can get the item AND their money back, simply by claiming it never arrived. Even if I have proof it made to the USPS with tracking to the US export city.

Login to Me Too

leonag
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you have noticed that between ebay and paypal, they are now charging us twice on our shipping fees. That is flat out crazy and bad business. Good for them though.

Login to Me Too

LookAtMe
Contributor
Contributor

yes I've noticed that and because PP charges a fee on the total amount that ALSO means we get charged twice on the final item value.

Insertion - eBay

added options - eBay

final value price - eBay

shipping  - eBay

total paid by buyer (final price and shipping)- paypal

Oh I forgot tax... I'm sure Paypal includes that amount in the total. At least eBay "says" they don't include that when determining the amount for fees.

idk... I don't collect sales tax.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.