credit card suddenly refused

UKparky
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I am trying to resolve a negative balance (£3.99). This was caused by the alleged refusal of my bank to accept a direct debit to my current account following an ebay purchase. So I decided to use my alternative funding card (credit card) to resolve the negative balance.

To my surprise, my Visa credit card which worked fine 8 days ago for a paypal/ebay purchase is now refused by paypal for resolving the negative balance saying

"This transaction failed because we were unable to verify this credit card through our card validation process. In order to proceed with your transaction, please select a different funding method or add a different credit card."

My card was valid from a year ago and has 2 years before it expires - so it's not that.

Is this a system fault?

Any advice?

I must say I find paypal a BIG disincentive to using ebay. It just seems to get in the way.

Ukparky

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry you are having problems does your card have funds for you to be able to use it?

If you make a payment and fund by card it will automatically clear the negative balance.

Login to Me Too

UKparky
Contributor
Contributor

The transaction is only for £3.99 and my credit card has several thousand pounds of facility available. So what I did was to start the process of adding the same credit card again. I had a small charge sent to my account by Paypal and responded back to them by quoting the code number etc. etc.. I was told that my card is now registered/confirmed. When I immediately went to clear the remaining negative balance (now reduced to £2.99 by virture of the refund of the credit card charge), I got the same message again that the card could not be verified etc. just like before.

I am getting to the point where i just cannot be bothered with paypal, ebay or the whole thing. I never had dealings with a firm where they made it so hard for me to GIVE THEM money!!

I still cannot understand why the card that i have used previously without problem suddenly cannot be used by Paypal.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi UK parky,

It sounds like your card is not being accepted as you have a negative balance. When you have a negative balance on your PayPal account you need to bring your balance back to zero before sending your payment.

I would suggest that you log in to your PayPal account and click on the link "resolve your negative balance".

Once your balance has been resolved you should have no further issues sending your payments. If this issue does continue once your balance has been resolved I would suggest that you contact us via the contact us link.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

Mdothowell
New Community Member

I'm receiving the same message "This transaction failed because we were unable to verify this credit card through our card validation process. In order to proceed with your transaction, please select a different funding method or add a different credit card"  Even though I'm trying to use the card to resolve the negative balance that I have attained because your system won't accept the card in the first place.

Login to Me Too

samah
Contributor
Contributor

samah
Contributor
Contributor
my credit card is disabled for entry into the PayPal website.instead.What do I do
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi Samah,

Have you received a new card recently or has there been any refused payment attempts from your card recently?

There are a few different possibilities as to why this may have happened. Another possibility is that you have tried to confirm your card and then entered the incorrect code three times.

If you would like further information on this, your best option would be to try contacting customer services directly.

David.

Login to Me Too

tattoo_linda
Contributor
Contributor

im having a similar issue i have a debit card registerd on my account with a balance of +£500  in the account over the past few days i have nade sevral purchases on ebay and i have managed to pay for most of the items i won but my card keeps getting refused for certain purchases - is there a limit on how many purchases i can make a day if so thats stupid as its upto me how i spend my money also i have not even come close to the spending limit- yet i keep getting the same thing (please enter another card details to pay for this item) im not registering another card as this one has cash linked to it and works fine everywhere other than paypal (even though it worked fine on other items on ebay)

Login to Me Too

tattoo_linda
Contributor
Contributor

once again the message i get is "This card cannot be used for this transaction. You can complete the checkout with another debit or credit card. Please enter your new card information below." - if i get negative ratting due to non payment i will be holding paypal resposible and making sure everyone on ebay hears how crap paypal is

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.