Withdrawing money to a bank in Kenya - Can't be done?

RodNeep
Contributor
Contributor

Here's an awkward one.

I buy products from a guy in Kenya (who I know personally).

The money is for goods that I buy to help the people of his village. A widows and orphans self help group. All set up officially with its own bank account, and which has been running for several years.

He has set up a Paypal account in Kenya, linked to the bank account of his organisation. (A major bank in Kenya).

This was supposed to make my payments to him (I am in the UK) easier all round.

So... I sent a "test" payment of £5 to him via Paypal.

But Paypal won't let him withdraw it to his own bank account!

He is told by Paypal that he can either:

a) spend the money for purchases using Paypal

or

b) open a bank account in the USA and withdraw funds to that!

He doesn't want to buy things and pay using Paypal! He sure as heck can't open a bank account in the USA!

This just isn't right!

Any suggestions?

What can be done?, other than pay using Western Union, or bank transfer, which is expensive.

Rod

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there RodNeep,

No every country around the world has the exact same PayPal. For example, I am unable to use my bank account to fund a payment here in Ireland but in the UK you can use your bank account. It comes down to different banking rules in each country.

When you click here and select Kenya from the list of countries you see that accounts in Kenya can only ever withdraw funds to a US bank account. This constantly changes but I can't say if this will ever change for Kenya specifically.

Wayne

Login to Me Too

RodNeep
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the precise answer.

That seems pretty much cut and dried then.

There is no way that the regular Kenyan can open a bank account in the USA!

The organisation there, a widows and orphans self help group,are trying to get income, and be paid using Paypal for their produce. A set up where they can have a Paypal account (which they do) but can't withdraw money is therefore of no use to them at all. Smiley Sad

Rod

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

You are more than welcome!

I wish I could give you a better answer that suited you and your Kenyan friends but as of now I can't Smiley Sad

Wayne

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.