Withdrawal Pending

banjo72
New Community Member

I normally transfer funds sing my First Direct account but my sister asked if she could use PayPal to transfer some money that she owed me. I looked into this and was told by a ‘helpful’ advisor that as long as my bank account was verified I could transfer the money and it would take up to 2 hours.

I received the money, went to withdraw it and it said it would take two hours but since then my withdrawal has been pending. I spoke to someone else who told me that this was due to it being an unusually high amount of money. The amount is actually £57.77 and I very nearly accused the agent of being unusually high themselves. 

I can can understand why PayPal sometimes have to be careful as they’re not a proper bank but I refuse to believe that there is nobody there that can have a look at this and see it’s not some dodgy scam but a mere transfer of funds between siblings

The 72 hours is up on a Saturday afternoon and I have a nasty feeling that it won’t clear into my bank account until the following working day. This has been a bit of a ball ache for me and but I’m more annoyed at PayPal’s attitude more than anything. It’s lucky that this wasn’t my last £57.77 and I was relying on that money for bills etc. but I bet there are plenty of others out there who do

It goes without saying that I will never use their services again and I’ll stick to real banks from now on

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi there Steve999w,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! 

Usually, the maximum amount of time that the transfer might take is 72 hours. Once it shows as completed on your PayPal activity, you should be able to see the money in your bank account within a couple of hours.

If a withdrawal remains pending for 72 hours, it may be as we will occasionally hold a withdrawal for further review. This review can happen for various reasons but, in general, is because our internal security system reviews every transaction before it's released in order to provide a safe online payment service. 

You can find more information about it here

Hope this helps!

Martina 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
62 REPLIES 62

Dinkyinki
New Community Member
Hi, I have had now had two withdrawals set to pending that l have to wait 72 hours. What is really frustrating is: 1. The sender of the money to my PayPal account has done so many times (at least 30 times). 2. The withdrawal is going to a bank account verified by PayPal and one that an active Direct Debit exists. 3. That the request was made from devices known to PayPal (no new installs etc). 4. The transaction value compared to other requests is actually lower. And yet the transaction is set to pending, what l find fascinating is it takes exactly 72 hours to complete. One would assume that further checks such as credit agency checks can be completed in seconds. There's been no requests from PayPal for further documentation, therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that PayPal is keeping hold of this money for an extended time for your benefit. The example of a terrorist is pretty poor.... I have had my PayPal account since 2009. I have received transfers from the same person for years, l am no FBI profiler but l am very confident none of my circumstances fit into it. PS. I do pay for PayPal everytime l make a foreign currency transfer l pay a lot to do that.
Login to Me Too

Steve999w
Contributor
Contributor
This is inaccurate "All money withdrawals for the first time are subject to review" NO THEY ARE NOT. Under money laundering regulations an organisation taking or paying money on behalf of clients have to verify the identity of the client and ensure that the amounts being deposited or withdrawn are properly accounted for. Any suspicious transactions should be reported. If receipts and withdrawals are in accordance with paypals terms & conditions there should be no issue. Open a bank account a credit card account a store account collect money from western union and they don't "review" the initial transaction they have done the requisite due diligence in advance. We are not getting a service we don't pay for sellers pay a fee to paypal for payment processing and part of the process is handling withdrawal requests.
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi there Steve999w,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! 

Usually, the maximum amount of time that the transfer might take is 72 hours. Once it shows as completed on your PayPal activity, you should be able to see the money in your bank account within a couple of hours.

If a withdrawal remains pending for 72 hours, it may be as we will occasionally hold a withdrawal for further review. This review can happen for various reasons but, in general, is because our internal security system reviews every transaction before it's released in order to provide a safe online payment service. 

You can find more information about it here

Hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Cinnamon1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have the same problem with pending withdraw.Why I have to wait so long to transfer money which I own???Can you explain this to me? It's not Paypal's money, its my money. Moreover Paypal doesn't replay to my messages about this issue, now why is that? 

Login to Me Too

jeevster
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same issue, I have a payment in pending, to be honest this is nothing but fraud - someone sends me payment, which PayPal then deduct a fee from, and the withhold without reason. I have a mind to report them to the FSA - and see if they have anything to say about it
Login to Me Too

Dr75
Contributor
Contributor
Yes , I’ve got the same problem as well . Withdrawal has been pending for 2 days now ! I am close to reporting them . As I withdrew to my bank to cover DDs due out . I wouldn’t mind this money isn’t even from an eBay sale it’s my money . I’m appalled. And the support online is as much use as a chocolate fire guard . All they say is it will be in within 24 hours !! 24 hours from when ? Well that question they couldn’t answer!!!!
Login to Me Too

Dazryl73
New Community Member

The simple fact of the matter is; regardless of where that money came from ie. Money that someone has transferred over to you, Money from an ebay sale or money you've simply had in your PayPal account for some time - PayPal have NO RIGHT holding on to it as 'Pending' after you make a withdrawal.

I've never gone in to a bank to withdraw money and the cashier tell me to come back in 72 hours to collect it, nor have I used an ATM/Cashpoint where it's told me "You can't have it right now, come back in three days".

Many times I have sold on ebay and PayPal have withheld the payment from the buyer or when I've withdrawn it it's been in 'Pending' for three days. These scenarios have a knock on affect such as not having the finds to be able to pay for the postage to send the item to the buyer.

I think PayPal make it up as they go along .........

Login to Me Too

KymNy28
Contributor
Contributor
Does the money actually get released within the 72 hour period? I’m seeing a lot of horror stories about this particular issue & now I’m scared my funds won’t be released within that given time frame.
Login to Me Too

AnnanFashions
Contributor
Contributor
I have a pending transaction of my own money that was sent by my business partner, we have exchanged a lot of transfers in Paypal! This ain't the first time, so what's happening with Paypal now ? Our own funds when we send transfers y'all take charges and that's how you guys make money too! And got the nerve to be holding our hard earned funds, this is my business account and i always stay stressed when such problems comes up because i have people i have to pay them always! Now you guys need to work on such problems and end such stuffs!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.