Withdraw request under review

angel58

Am so fed up with Paypal, this is the third time in 3 weeks that they have held up my withdrawal of funds.  No reason given, no apologies.  I understand the fraud prevention reasoning, but the account name & number hasn't changed so why do they need to keep doing this.  The last two occasions it took 5 days for the money to go into my account. Am going on holiday shortly and want the money for my spending.....................this is my money !!  Maybe I'll ask my e-bay customers to pay by cheque then at least I know I will get MY money.

Login to Me Too
79 REPLIES 79

ohana
Contributor
Contributor

So much for IMMEDIATE payments then!  I'm sure at some point this holding of funds WILL get stopped and Paypal WILL have to conform.  The thing that infuriates me even more is the email you receive saying your withdrawal request is under review.  It also states the following:

"As set out in our User Agreement, withdrawal requests may be subject to review by PayPal to help maintain your safe use of the PayPal service...."

Has anyone tried clicking on the User Agreement link within that email?  Try it but I'll tell you what I get ...

"You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks."

Use of bookmarks? It's a link in YOUR email PayPal -- another sneaky backhanded way of not letting on to what the hold ups are all about!!!!!! Cat Mad

Login to Me Too

airbourneuk
New Community Member

Same thing has happened to me (Paypal user since 2002) for £10.00. Can only think as others have mentioned that it's to do with new regulations regarding speed of bank transfers. I've emailed Paypal (waiting for a response) and the BBC Watchdog programme.Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

jeanniei

I think, after reading all of the complaints, that most of you have hit the nail on the head, and Paypal are actually holding on to our money illegally.    I'd love to see this tackled properly .... any takers?  Watchdog seems a good option to start ...

The only possible reason this has become the immediate response to making a withdrawal is so that they can hang onto the funds for an extra few hours (over midnight?) and make a day's interest - highly significant when you think of how many transactions are being made daily!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

lpoolf123
Contributor
Contributor

if you leave your email il l contact you im back in work tomorrow and hopefully if we all complain together i ll try get a peice in the paper x

Login to Me Too

knoyjen2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys

I'm absolutely outraged by what's happening!  I'm trying to make a few honest bucks to supplement my benefits and to get shot of some old clothes and I have to wait 21 DAYS before they'll let me have my £45!!!!    £45 is £45 to me and it's a lot of money.

I have just spoken to Lauren, at Paypal, and she told me it's because I'm a new seller and have not yet received any positive feedback.  Other reasons can include what it is you're selling, if you're an inconsistent seller ie you sell for three months in succession and then don't sell anything for a while - presumably you have to have an infinite number of items to sell in your lifetime.

When I mentioned that there were 3 pages of complaints regarding this issue Lauren told me that it should have been in the terms of selling and when I told her that when I tried to withdraw my £45 the Internet said I would have to wait 21 hrs, she told me I misread that, it's 21 days!!! 

I told Lauren I am on benefits and couldn't afford to pay for the p&p for the two items I sold and she said that she was sorry but I would HAVE to find a way if I want positive feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions as to how I find £14.00 out of thin air and what I'm supposed to tell my customers?

Jen

Login to Me Too

knoyjen2
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked the email PayPal sent me re this topic and this is it:

For security reasons, we are reviewing your withdrawal request, which could take up to 24 hours. After our review is complete, PayPal will release your funds. It can take up to an additional 2 hours for those funds to be deposited into your bank account.

As set out in our User Agreement, withdrawal requests may be subject to review by PayPal to help maintain your safe use of the PayPal service. As a result, it may take longer than the estimated processing time for your withdrawal to reach your bank account.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Can anyone see where it says 21 days as quoted by Laura at PayPal?  Incidentally when I told her she sounded well versed and had an answer to all my questions and asked her "you must have had lots of people with this problem" she said "all the time"!!!!  Says it all doesn't it!

Will send you an update if and when my money enters my bank account.

Login to Me Too

jaglover
Contributor
Contributor

I think you may have two different issues mixed up here.   When funds are available to withdraw, doing so should be quick - but since moving over from BACS/CHAPS to Faster Payments earlier this month the Paypal system has been subjecting withdrawn funds to a delay (described as a 'security review') of 21, 24 or 72 hours.  This, I think we've all accepted, is a bug in their systems which they don't seem to have fixed yet.  Paypal customer service is getting so many calls about this that I reckon they assume every call is about it and trot out the same reply.

The 21 day hold is where funds coming into your paypal account from eBay sales are not actually available to withdraw at all until one of these things happens:

(1) you receive positive feedback from the buyer

(2) you prove that you have signed proof of delivery to the address shown in the Paypal transaction record

(3) 21 days have passed without any comeback from the buyer

(and in most cases you have to phone up Paypal to point out that these things have happened)

This hold system originates from eBay, not Paypal, and has become more or less standard for newer eBay sellers.  I don't remember the details but 90 days membership, a certain minimum feedback score, that sort of thing applies.  It was introduced to combat seller fraud (which is nearly always charactized by sellers with short histories on eBay).

Once one of the three things above has happened, the funds move into your 'available' balance and can be withdrawn - at which point (currently) they will fall into the 21/24/72 hour balls-up trap...

Thus, if you are a fairly new eBay seller you may get an email telling you the funds are 'pending' for up to 21 days then, when you can get at them, another email telling you the funds are being held for a 'security review'.  Same misery, different reasons.

Login to Me Too

knoyjen2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.  So what do you think I'm looking at 21 hours or days?  Which should I believe?  Lauren or the email I was sent telling me I would have to wait 21 hours?

Jen

Login to Me Too

jaglover
Contributor
Contributor

without knowing all the details I couldn't be sure but I'm guessing that if you executed a withdrawal to a verified bank account and saw the balance in your paypal go down accordingly, it's the 21 hour one that applies here.  Note that it's 21 hours plus up to 2 hours and requires that your verified bank account is accepting Faster Payments (they all do now, I hope).

Login to Me Too

knoyjen2
Contributor
Contributor

hey jaglover

Well, the story is this.  I've mainly bought off eBay and occasionally sold but have loads of stuff to get rid of so decided to give eBay a go selling.  I sold 3 pairs of boots over the w/e and 2 of the payments came in totalling £45 which I went into PayPal to transfer to my normal bog-standard high street bank that I've used hundreds of times for buying off eBay ad the money usually goes pretty **bleep** quick so there must be some pretty happy sellers out there but when I want my dosh it's a different story. 

So that's it.  Tis just a norma bank account owned by a normal girl trying to do a normal thing.

Jen

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.