PayPal automatic transfer to a bank account that was closed - Missing bank withdrawal

hleav
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PayPal community

I recently received a refund for an item I bought on eBay. However the refund was automatically transferred from my PayPal account to my old bank account, which was closed when the transfer was made. As a result, I have not received the funds. I have visited my bank and they have informed me that the account is closed and the refund has not been received into the closed account (I have a bank statement showing this). Despite this, the paypal transfer status is ‘Completed'

I was also informed that as the bank account is now closed, the payment will automatically be returned to the source and because the payment did not reach the bank account, the bank are not responsible. I gather that this should therefore be returned to my Paypal account and shown in my balance. However my PayPal balance is still £0.00 and there is no sign that the amount has been returned.

Would it be possible to initiate a PayPal trace request for the returned payment in order to allow me to obtain the funds?

The automatic transfer was made on the 19th October.

I hope that you can assist me with this.

Kind Regards

Harrison

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hleav

If you funded the original payment to the seller via a debit card then it goes back to the same card / bank account and that is automatic.

If the account was closed then it normally "bounces" back to your paypal account balance.

If that happens best to check any recent transactions as if you had funds in your paypal balance they would have been used to fund those transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hleav
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, from what I understand it should bounce back. 

I have looked at my recent PayPal transactions but there is no sign of the payment being returned to my PayPal account.

I have not had any recent spending so it should be clear to me if the amount has come back (it was just over £500!).

I have looked around online and it seems as if the best option is for PayPal to initiate a trace request for the payment. 

I posted in the community as I thought that I would receive a response from PayPal sooner than their very slow email response team.

Thanks in advance. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hleav

If the moderators posted on here (which is a user to user forum) then its generally to tell you to contact them via facebook or twitter OR phone them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hleav
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I will contact them using those methods now.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.