Access Card declined

Paganister
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I received a PayPal Access Card in the post a few days ago and activated it.

I tried using it in a ATM to withdraw cash, but it said the card was unrecognised even though it accepted my pin. So I figured maybe it's the ATM I am using.

But earlier I tried to use the card is my local shop and it accepted my pin again, but came back as Declined.

Any ideas what is going on? I have enough funds in my account, and I double checked it's activated.

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

AlexEntertainUK
New Community Member

I am having the same issue.... 

However it's been on going for a few months now! 

The latest thing was tonight!   I had money transfered INTO my account by my parents!

I went to go use the card in my local Tesco.... 

IT WAS DECLINED!! 

So I checked my paypal balance.. and WOW, it shows the transaction actually wasn't declined and they have taken my money! I have the tesco receipt to prove it was declined!

Tried to call customer services to be told they shut at 7pm!! SERIOUSLY???  7pm??

So no one uses their card after 7pm ?? 

Really really angry at PayPal Access card right now! 

I also have the same problem.... 95% of cash machines I try to use return a message saying " Card Not Recognised " 

This is probably why their previous "debit card" scheme got scrapped! BECAUSE ITS USELESS! 😞 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there,

You both will be able to contact our Card Customer Service on 0845 505 8801. They will be able to help you out.

Wayne

Login to Me Too

Steele
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this issue has been going on since mid-February.  We've had PP debit cards for nearly three years, and suddenly they began declining on every transaction.  Was initially told that we had too many transactions and had to wait for them to clear.  

Then was told our bank wasn't sending them the money in a timely fashion [back up funding].  

Then was told it was an issue with everyone who had the same bank as us.

What is interesting is that nearly ever transaction that is declined states "debit not available".

It's a problem on their end with back up funding.  

After 2 1/2 months of the cards not working, cancelled the cards.

I think what PayPal has done is changed their program so that if you do not have funds in your PP account, then you can't use the card.  I think they have shut off the backup funding on the debit card, but no on the online PP side, and isn't announcing it.  And if it's not this, then they've got an issue they can't fix, and the Federal Reserve should get involved since people are now saying they can't access funds in their PP account with the debit card.

Login to Me Too

Allied
Contributor
Contributor

Also had this problem yesterday, I activated my card and went and used it at a reconised atm, it accepted my pin and asked for amount, it said your bank has not authorised the transaction, I had plenty of funds in paypal to cover the transaction. I went home and re loged into www.paypal.co.uk/accesscard/activate and my card status says activate but the balance and available spending amount both say not available?? is there anything else I need to do? or is the service down or something??

Login to Me Too

kevspread
Contributor
Contributor

hi all,i had this problem aswell and its realy simple to activate..just under your usermame on paypal page click on upgrade and fololw the the question.

it takes about 15 seconds then the page that says your card is activated will now show the money in your paypal account and now you can use at the atms..

hope this has helped as i know how frustrating it is..

kindest regards KEVIN

Login to Me Too

Allied
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I rang up PayPal afew days ago and they told me to upgrade my account, I did so to a business accounr. Now my balance is available to spend 🙂 I paid one bill with it fine, but tried to pay my Vodafone bill and they keep saying the card number is invalid, since then I keep getting emails saying from PayPal saying Vodafone have refunded me 00.01p . Had about 10 emails now!
Login to Me Too

the_shimmer
New Community Member

Hi, did you upgrade to a premier or a business account, I 've also been having issues using the card

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Allied
Contributor
Contributor
Just log into your normal PayPal account click on account type, upgrade to premier 🙂
Login to Me Too

kaystrugnell
Contributor
Contributor

thanx so so much kevin i could kiss u!

my agros n frustrations r solved!

I LUV U!

kay:)

@kevspread wrote:

hi all,i had this problem aswell and its realy simple to activate..just under your usermame on paypal page click on upgrade and fololw the the question.

it takes about 15 seconds then the page that says your card is activated will now show the money in your paypal account and now you can use at the atms..

hope this has helped as i know how frustrating it is..

kindest regards KEVIN

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.