Update account due to change of country

franfef
New Community Member

Hello everyone, 

I am now facing this dilemma:
my personal account is set up with a UK bank account, linked to a card as well.
As I am now moving out of UK for another country, I would need to close the current account and open another one in the next country, as i cannot add/link another bank account that is not british.
I would like to know few details for this operation.

There is some balance in the wallet. I guess it's not possible to transfer it to the new account, will I have to withdraw it (and send it to the bank account)?
I do not want to change my email address for the next paypal account. Will it be possible to use the same email address when the old account is closed? 

Moreover, as i already moved out of UK, i don't have access to the mobile number that is linked to the account, and adding a new one (that is not british) doens't work. Now as I am in a new country when I try to make a payment, it asks for a verification code to be sent on my old mobile, and not being able to add a new number I am stuck.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

franfef

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@franfef

You are supposed to withdraw all funds and close your old account before you move to another country.

If you try and do so after you have moved then paypal will think your paypal account has been hacked and being used by a scammer in another country.

They would then want to verify its you with your UK telephone linked to your paypal account.

It may be that all you can do is abandon  that UK account but you won't be able to use that email address OR withdraw the funds OR remove any bank accounts / cards linked to that account.

Suggest you give UK c.s. a call to see if they can help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Chazmills
Contributor
Contributor

It’s all a bit silly now with PayPal, I have to verify my UK number every time I log on. It’s so annoying and wish they would get there act together and realize we are an international community now and most travel and therefore we are not going to be in the country where we set up the account!

i live 50/50in UK and Spain and fortunately have mobile and bank for both and it would’ve much simpler if I could enter my Spanish number as well but I can’t. CHANGE WITH THE TIMES PAYPAL!!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chazmills

Paypal is not a bank so it can only do what it is allowed to do in each country.

Some countries allow certain things others don't.

That is why your paypal account is 'country specific' BUT you can have 2 paypal accounts in 2 different countries.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.