Top up card problem

Manikally
New Community Member

Hello all,

I received my new card a week after my old one expired. I activated it on the top up card site, no problems so far. My old card had been removed from my paypal.com account as it had expired. Here's where the problem begins: I have tried to add my new card but it's coming up with a message saying it's been refused by the card issuer.
I rang the top up card company, nothing to do with them so they put me through to paypal.com, nothing to do with them either. They know which card I'm trying to add as the man told me the last 4 digits. He suggested ringing RBS as they issued the card. I rang the local branch, they told me they'd never heard of the cards, so go back to paypal. I rang RBS customer services, they told me I'd got through to the wrong dept as I was talking to the credit card line and the card seemed to be a debit card so I had to take it to the local branch for them to sort out. If the branch hadn't heard of them, how are they going to sort it? I'm not sure who to go to now.
So, very long story short. I can't use the top up card as it keeps being refused by paypal. Does anyone have any suggestions beside cutting it up?
Many thanks for reading this far.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi ManiKelly,

this doesn't sound like fun. I'd advise that you first remove the expired card from your profile and then add it like it was a new card on the account. I've occasionally seen problems with updating cards that have expired that get resolved like this.

If you're still getting that error message this means that the card issuer is denying PayPal's request to authorise the card. PayPal does this through a temporary charge (usually about a £1 GBP) so if your balance on the card account is literally zero it will deny this payment due to insufficient funds.

If you do have the funds available in the account then the issue is definitely with the card issuer, you'd have to call them and find out who deals with online authorisations. Sometimes they're called the 'Online Authorisation Department' but not always, it could be just their security team. You'll have to be clear when you are speaking to them that there is a payment being requested that is being denied, the request WILL be on their system.

I wouldn't recommend mentioning that it's a PayPal Top-Up card as this just confuses the issue. The top up-card is a Visa card and that's probably all the information they have on their system, Visa card request for funds being denied. They shouldn't need any more than then 16 digit number on the front of the card.

hope this helps you get your issue sorted Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.