PayPal won't let me add my VISA

skechagias
Contributor
Contributor

Hello PayPal Community,

I, recently, closed my old PayPal account with my debit card confirmed for the reason that I want to change my country information. I chose "Sount Africa" when I first opened my account and I realised that I could not add funds. So, I closed the account and opened a new one using the same e-mail and the correct country information. When I tried to add the same debit card that was working well in my previous "wrong information" account that I closed I took this message :

"The bank that issued your card didn't approve this transaction. Please contact the card issuer's customer service department if you have any questions. Or you can add a different card now to continue."

What should I do?

Thank you in advance,

Savvas Kechagias

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you remove the card from your old account before you closed it?

Is the card a UK card being added to a UK paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

skechagias
Contributor
Contributor

I think that I did not remove my debit card before closing the account. Is that the problem? What can I do now?
I live in Greece

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes, when you close an account they tell you to remove all financial info first, if you don't you can't use it on another account.

Also the card must match the country who's paypal account you have so if you have a greek account then you need a card from Greece.

Suggest you email paypal customer services in Greece and see if they can remove the card for you (not sure whether they can or not).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

skechagias
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestion. 

If the card must match the country, then how did PayPal accepted my Greek debit card while I registered with a South Africa account? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No idea, that was very strange.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

skechagias
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is. So either i will contact PayPay Customer Service so they remove my debit card or I will contact my bank issuer to create a new debit card?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.