PayPal Account default card

WalJen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have two cards linked to my PayPal account, 1 Debit & 1 Credit. For some reason the Credit Card is set as the default for payments but I want the Debit card as default instead. Both are linked to the same Bank Account. 

Can you advise me how to do this please.

Thanks & regards,

WalJen.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Jessica

Hi WalJen,

Thank you for joining the PayPal Community Forum!

This seems strange. Usually when you send a payment, the funds would be taken first form the balance (if you have money in your PayPal account) then from your bank and the last option would be the card. While it wouldn't be possible for you to adjust the default funding source, you may be able to choose the payment method for specific transactions. It may be that one of your cards is not being accepted to process the payment.

You can find more information on how a payment is funded here

Jessica

Login to Me Too

WalJen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Jessica. I do get the option to change payment method but it always comes up with my Credit card first and sometimes I miss it and it doesn't get changed to my Debit card. I would much prefer that the default was my Debit card and not my Credit card.

Any further ideas or suggestions ?

Thank you again,

WalJen.

Login to Me Too

Wh00sher
Contributor
Contributor

This situation is incredibly frustrating. 

Paypal insist I have a Bank account to maintain my `verified user` status.

I want to pay by credit card. For various reasons, none of which are relevant to this discussion.

PayPal keep telling me I can `change at the payment screen`. That`s extra stages to go through. They keep telling me `Paypal is quick and easy` yet put steps in the way to stop it being so streamlined.

Please, this issue has been discussed MANY time, Just let me choose MY default payment method in my Wallet ! 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi Wh00sher,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forum, and sorry to hear about this situation.

I can confirm that if you would rather remove your bank and use your card to fund your payments, you can definitely do this. We do ask you to link and confirm a bank account in order to verify your account, but you don't need to keep the bank connected to your PayPal account to maintain this verified status.

As it sounds like your account is now fully verified, I'd advise removing the bank to ensure that your payments now divert to your chosen credit card.

Here’s how to remove a bank from your PayPal account:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Beside ‘Bank accounts’, click Update.
  5. Click Remove next to the bank you want to remove.
  6. Review your account information, and then click Remove.

Hope this helps!

Sophie

Login to Me Too

Wh00sher
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, thanks Sophie. 

That`s changed, it used to remove your verified status, so that`s why I hadn`t done it.

If you are saying that it`s not the case anymore, I`ll certainly do that.

It would still be easier to be able to simply choose the preferred default payment method, it wouldn`t be difficult to implement!

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.