Old Bank Account - Can not validate account!

AsaFermandell
Contributor
Contributor

What a joke!!! My girlfriends account is asking her to enter her OLD bank card number that she no longer has, but according to paypal customer service there is no way round this?!!! She can not re-register because when she puts her bank account number (not her card number) it says that another account has already paired with that bank account.

Paypal said if you ring the bank they can tell your bank card number history - which they do not!

Also you can not delete your account unless you sign in, and in order to do that you need the full account number which she hasn't got. 

Can anyone help - I have just come across an website called. www.**bleep**-paypal.com and it claims that 70% of restricted account never get confirmed.

There must be a way round this without closing her bank account, changing her email all so she can use paypal, if thats what it takes - both me and my girlfriend will not use paypal.

Thanks in advance for any help

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

AsaFermandell
Contributor
Contributor

Nice that someone can modify my post by bleeping out a website but can't help me resolve this issue

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there AsaFermandell,

The information that is being requested on your girlfriends account sounds as though it is a security measure. The reason that the old card information is being requested is that the information would still be active on the PayPal account.

I can understand your frustration but there are a few possibilities as to why this is in place on the account. One of the reasons is that our system detected that a third party was attempting to access the PayPal account and we want to be sure that it's the account holder before we let them login.

Also, if the bank account is active on the account that she can't access, she won't be able to register it on the current PayPal account as it isn't possible to have a bank account active on more then one account at the same time.

It is strange that you have been advised of your bank that they can't provide you the old card number. I have heard of this being done before but every bank is different. It may be possible for us to temporarily disable the card information being asked for but I can't guarentee this as I can't see the account information. Your best option would be to contact customer services and they can investigate it further for you. Be sure to advise that your bank are not able to give the old card number and we can try to help you with it.

David.

Login to Me Too

AsaFermandell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Customer Services are claiming that unless the bank (which they cant) can provide us with her card number then there is nothing they can do. I do understand that due to security they need to validate the account, but surely they could email the email address on file and/or delete all bank accounts/credit cards on the account so there is no risk.

Regards

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Why can't the bank account provide you with your old card number?

The reason it is asked for is because it is information that is not available elsewhere on the website. If a spoofer already has access to your e-mail address then asking to verify an e-mail won't be any more secure. In addition, it's only asked for if it is marked as still still active on our system, i.e. it has not expired and we have not been informed that it has been cancelled.

Login to Me Too

jasperoony
New Community Member

Pay Pal are not providing aqequate customer service here.

We hav the same issue

Its asking for old credit card details without allowing you the option to add a new card as the details for the old one are

no longer available.

I cannot beleive this issue has been on the go for 2 years and it has not been passed to your application development teams to resolve, this is a disgrace.

Please escalate this as a regular customer concern, you are failing to meet customer demands

Login to Me Too

Uncledub
New Community Member
I am having the same issue. I haven't banked with the bank they are asking for in over ten years. I rarely used PayPal if ever over that time but email is linked to the account and I would like to just log in and delete my very old and obsolete information. The bank that I was with is a small local bank that probably didn't mark my account as closed or doesn't communicate with credit unions or whatever you guys use to tell if an account is still valid.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.