My partner has died - how do i close his paypal account?

purplebeana
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Wonder if you could help - didn't really know where to post this.

My partner died earlier this year, I am executor of his will.

I would like to close his Paypal account - what do I need to do?

I found some advice on the web about faxing copy of death certificate, will and my id but wasn't sure how up to date it was or whether the number was US specific rather than UK - don't have a fax machine so would prefer to be able to email scans of relevant docs. 

What happens if I don't close the account and just leave it?  His bank account is closed and all credit cards cancelled.

Thanks for your help

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Hi there, sorry to hear about your loss.

The best thing to do is to contact customer services and i am sure they will talk you through the procedure.

Click on the words "Contact us" at the bottom of paypal pages > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Hi there, sorry to hear about your loss.

The best thing to do is to contact customer services and i am sure they will talk you through the procedure.

Click on the words "Contact us" at the bottom of paypal pages > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

purplebeana
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding.  

I've rung them and got the info I needed.  Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

Memphisblue
New Community Member

Hi Purplebean

It would be helpful for anyone else looking for similar information if you could kindly write here what you learned regarding the closure process.

Thanks .

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Memphisblue,

Welcome to the forum. 

I will provide this information here so it can be easily searched by those who need it.

For legal reasons, we require some documentation before we can close an account. We need the executor of the estate to fax the following to 08707 303 194.

• A cover sheet, providing the executor's contact details (email address or phone number), stating that the account holder is deceased and that the account’s executor wants to close the account.
  • The death certificate of the account holder.
  • The will that identifies the executor of the estate. If a will wasn't created, we'd need a written statement from a legal representative (on letter headed paper) declaring who the executor of the estate is.
  • A government-issued photo ID of the executor.
  • A note specifying what to do with any money that remains in the account.

We then review the documents and, if approved, we'll close the account.

If there are funds in the account we can resolve this also and will discuss it at the time. 

I hope this is helpful.

Rachael.

Login to Me Too

paulsimmo
New Community Member

Why fax? I don't have fax. Can I email?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Godman
New Community Member

This hasn't been answered

Can't I send it via e-mail?

I can't find where to upload the death certificate

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Godman,

For security reasons we don't accept email attachment so fax is our only option at the moment. If you get in touch with our customer service team we can of course look at other options on an individual basis. 

You can get us by clicking contact at the end of any PayPal page. We are also available on Facebook www.Facebook.com/PayPalUK or on Twitter @AskPayPal. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.