How long before the PayPal Direct Debit Authority is set up on a UK bank account?

gladtobegrey
Contributor
Contributor

I've confirmed my bank account, clicked on the "Complete set up" link and sent the DD Authority request.  I have seen the trial amount debitted and then credited back to my account.

But so far, no sign of the DD Authority being set up on the bank account.  PayPal still says "Needs your approval".

How long does this take usually?  Is it just down to the bank's processing times?  I would expect it to be almost instant, these days. 

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_david

Hi there Gladtobegrey.

Thanks for reaching out.

If you have initiated the verification process on your bank account linked to PayPal, you need to enter the code that is showing on your bank account on the PayPal website. When you do this, this will complete the verification process and activate the direct debit between your bank and PayPal.

Can you please try this and see how it goes?

David.

Login to Me Too

gladtobegrey
Contributor
Contributor

In the end I gave up, deleted the account entirely, then added it again from scratch.

This time the DD Authority was set up within a couple of days, but I'm still awaiting the Confirmation Code to appear in my account.  Paypal seems to think it's sent it OK, as I get the box to enter the code when I look at the account in Paypal, but thus far no code in my account.  So, at the time of writing, I have a DD on an unconfirmed account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Okay thanks for the update.

Have you tried checking your online banking or to print a statement at an ATM to locate the code?

You will see a small deposit from PayPal and there will be a 4 digit code as a reference for the transaction. This code will be what you enter on PayPal to complete the verification of your bank.

I hope this helps.

David.

Login to Me Too

gladtobegrey
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, repeatedly.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Can you also tell me if the account you are trying to link and confirm is a savings or current bank account?

If you are trying to confirm a savings bank account, this may not be possible as most savings bank accounts do not process direct debit transactions.

David.

Login to Me Too

gladtobegrey
Contributor
Contributor

Current account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi gladtobegrey,

If you’re unable to confirm your bank account, we can do it manually for you. Just send us the following documents:

• A copy of a valid photo ID showing your name, such as a driving licence, passport or other government issued photo ID that also includes your date of birth
  • A copy of a recent bank statement for the bank you want to confirm, or a utility bill, showing the full name and postal address as registered on your PayPal account. It must be dated within the last 12 months.

Please fax the documents to 08707303194. Ensure you clearly state your email address on your fax so we can identify your account. 

Login to Me Too

gladtobegrey
Contributor
Contributor

Can you not simply send me another Security Code?  

Login to Me Too

gladtobegrey
Contributor
Contributor

@gladtobegrey wrote:

Can you not simply send me another Security Code?  

@PayPal_Donna Is it not possible to clear the current failed confirmation attempt, so that I can submit another one online via the website?  I'd far rather do that - as it would be more secure -than be faxing my id documents.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.