How hard is it to change a name?

Rustic_Harmony
Contributor
Contributor
I got married a few weeks back so I contacted PayPal to change my name from my maiden name. I got asked for my marriage certificate. I scanned and sent in the certificate to be told I needed photographic ID. Now my passport is still in date for 2 years and I can legally use it in my maiden name for that time so I am not going to pay to update that early and lose two years. I don't drive so don't have a driver's license. I told them of this and got told i could scan my birth certificate and that that would be sufficient. I got an email back after I sent that in saying my name woild be changed within 48 hours. I emailed today as it hadn't been changed to be told they need photo ID after being told they don't need it and my birth certificate was fine. It took me days to get hold of my birth certificate and scan it in and I only did so because they said it would be enough to change my name. Now apparently it no longer is. Why do they need photo ID? It would contain my name and date of birth jist lile my birth certificate does so why do they need that again with the addition of a photograph of someone who they can't even see?? Has anyone else has this trouble??
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Carlos

Hello Rustic_Harmon! Thank you for your post and welcome to the PayPal Community! I am really sorry to hear about this experience 😕  When a request for a name change is received the relevant team needs to confirm your identity. I understand that the request of all the documents was not the ideal situation but we aim to keep your account safe. If you still need assistance with this issue, you can contact us on Twitter @AskPayPal or Facebook and our teams will be more than happy to assist with this 🙂 - Carlos 

Login to Me Too

Rustic_Harmony
Contributor
Contributor
See, I get that. What I don't get is being told at one point my birth certificate was enough ID, then bring told no I need passport in new name, then being told actually I can send in my passport in my maiden name as ID, and now I'm being ignored!! This is ridiculous now.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Rustic_Harmony,

Changing your name on your PayPal account is not difficult but we do require some documents from you to confirm the change of name. You can ask us to change the name on your account if there's an error, you legally changed your name or you used a nickname. You cannot change the name on your account to another person's name.

Here’s how to ask for the name on your account to be changed:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click the Settings cog near the top of the page.
  3. Beside your name, click Edit.
  4. Select the type of change you would like to make and click Continue.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Note: To help protect your information we don’t accept files that are sent as email attachments. If you email us attachments, you'll still need to upload your documents.

Please provide the following documents:

• A valid photo ID showing either your new or old name, i.e., driving licence, passport or other state or government issued photo ID that also includes your date of birth.
  • A copy of a legal document showing your name change (e.g., marriage certificate-licence, divorce decree, deed poll).

Here’s how you upload your documents:

1. Click Upload Files.
  2. Browse for the file(s) you want to upload and click Attach this File.
  3. Click Send Files to PayPal.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Rustic_Harmony
Contributor
Contributor
I feel like everyone at PayPal just had a sheet of replies they copy and paste to customers. I know what *I* have to do to change my name. It's PayPal that keep changing their minds on what they'll accept from me. I've finally had my name changed now because someone somewhere has decided my photo ID in my old name is fine! No-one told me that before, everyone said new name. Ridiculous how many hoops I've had to jump through to change my name.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.