Ghost in the house? Keep getting messages from Paypal to say my card is already assigned.

Forestdweller
New Community Member

Help. I have joined to avoid jumping off the proverbial bridge. I have received ongoing messages to say my Mastercard cannot be used as it is assigned to another account. Today I went into Papal and cancelled everything I had ever done. Maiden name, acquired name both; attempting to harmoniously use the one card. No No No they say. OK Cancelled ev erything.

Went in again and set up the simplest of emails and password and I then received a Yahoo confirmation, yes, you have a paypal account, sign in and etc., etc., which I did but when I came to place the numbers of the Mastercard into the spaces left by Paypal the message came up again, "the card is assigned to another Paypal account. Each card can be assigned to only one Paypal account."That is after mailing me 'Congratulations! You've activated your Pay pal account!

I then went back to Ebay having found out they own Paypal and should hav e taken the problem on board as I would not have opened the Paypal account without using Ebay, at that stage...

They then went on to say the next step is to link your debit or credit card to yoruPpaypal account, then gurgling noises as the card numbers are upsetting someone!

Asked Ebay, if the ID I used years ago still attached to the card numbers, I asked both Ebay and Paypal that question. Ebay said that old account had been long closed down. In regard to Paypal I only got the answer machine which does not have a human face and I am sure is being run badly and possibly illegally. 

Is this question something for the EU Commissioner in Brussels as both Ebay and Paypal are big enough and wealthy enough to employ people to properly run the business which is really upsetting my life at present.

Maybe a nice human being can give me some guidance.?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You didn't have to close the original paypal account.

The problem is that you CC is already listed to a differen Paypal account.

Call who ever sent you the cc and ask for one with a different account number.... tell them that the cc  might have been compromised.

They should send you a new card with a different account number.  Then try adding the new card to your paypal account

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Prof is right.

If you ever had that card assigned to another account, even a cancelled one, Paypal won't let it be assigned to a new account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

The other option is to contact customer service with the card number and we could do a search for it. If it's an old account of yours we might be able to get you into it or maybe get the card removed from it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.