Chosing currency.

pja
Contributor
Contributor

I've just paid someone in the USA $300 for "goods and services", but the only option I could find was to pay in GPB and suffer PayPal's poor exchange rate. I had to work the transaction backwards and he got $300.01. Whilst I don't begrudge him the extra cent, it looks messy and unprofessional.

I selected the card I have registered that gives a fee free, curency market exchange rate and which would have cost me some £7.50 less but PayPal wouldn't let me change the currency.

I seem to remember that, up until recently, I could select the currency.

Is there any way that I've missed to let me make payments for goods and services in the currency and credit card of my choice?

This was not a checkout transaction.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

pja
Contributor
Contributor
I should also add that other similar posts are talking about selecting the currency from the drop down. In my case it only offered GBP. Is this a new feechur?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi pja,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

If you make an international payment using PayPal, we calculate the conversion rate. If you use your credit or debit card, you can choose to use your card issuer’s conversion rate instead of ours. 

To change the conversion rate during the payment process:

1. On the Payment review page, in the Pay with section, click View conversion options.
  2. Select Convert with PayPal or Convert with card issuer.
  3. Click Agree.

Our conversion rate appears under Pay with, in the section with this name on the Payment review page.

If you choose the Convert with card issuer option, the foreign exchange rate applied to the payment is determined by the card issuing company. Although we cannot tell you the exact exchange rate at the time when the payment is made, this will appear in your credit card statement, next to the purchase in question.

Intars

Login to Me Too

pja
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll check that out the next time I have a foreign payment to make.

All I can remember seeing last time was a drop down asking for which currency I'd like to use, but only offering GBP. But maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.