Changing country or removing incorrect addresses?

PayPal_david

Hi everyone,

There is a lot of questions lately about changing the country that your PayPal account is registered in and also getting old or incorrect addresses removed from your PayPal account.

Changing Country

Firstly, it's not possible at the moment in order for anyone to change the country that your PayPal account is registered to. If for example you are living in the UK and you have moved to a different country, you should register a new account in the country that you have moved to and if you wish, keep your UK PayPal account open if you are planning to return to the UK.

Removing Incorrect Addresses

If you can see some addresses in your PayPal account, you would need to contact customer services directly in order for us to get the incorrect addresses removed from your account. These are gift addresses that you would have sent items to in the past and they can only be removed by customer services.

I hope this answers anyones questions that you may have about moving country or getting old or incorrect address removed from your PayPal account.

David.

Login to Me Too
80 REPLIES 80

dunjoye

Hi Rachael,

I've been trying to close my account and open a new one in the UK but I am unable to do so. My profile says my account is limited but I can't resolve the problem because I don't have an active US address or bank details.

I will appreciate any help to deactivate my account so I can make use of my email address in the UK.

Many thanks 😄

Login to Me Too

Giadrion
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot for the info ! apreciate it 

Login to Me Too

Melissa2
New Community Member

So how can I recover my money from my account if I had moved country????

And my account access is now limited, wth????

Login to Me Too

Milestone
Contributor
Contributor

So reading this forum carefully, the following statements are all true...

1) You can have two PayPal accounts (eg one UK, one foreign) as long as each has a seperate set of Credit Card / Bank Account / Address all registered in that company and you use seperate email addresses.

2) If you move country you have to change your entire CC/Bank/Address set to your new locale - but you can only use the same email address if you delete it from your 'old' account.

3) If you have a Bank Account / Credit Card registered in one country but live in another country - you can't use PayPal.

4) If you have the correct set of 'one country' CC/Bank/Address - you can't buy and ship to yourself or a friend in a different country.

5) PayPal is set up purely on a US model where everything happens within the same country rather than a European model where people cross living/work borders without thinking about it.

6) PayPal will not change this model.

Login to Me Too

kinfrance
Contributor
Contributor
My problem is that I had two PayPal accounts, one in the UK which I'd had for several years, and a new one which I opened in France when I moved here. However, I can no longer access the UK account - whenever I try, I'm redirected to the French site. This means I can't pay for purchases in sterling, only in Euros, which isn't brilliant as the exchange rate's so bad. So I'm not very happy with PayPal!
Login to Me Too

Sleepyzz
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I know, the only way to get over this problem is to open a 2nd e-mail address.   Paypal only allow one Paypal account per email address,  but you can have as many Paypal accounts as you like as long as they are all on different email addresses

Login to Me Too

stuff2ng
New Community Member

I still use my UK bank account which is the one linked to my UK paypal account, but my postal address is in the new country I now live in, with a postcode that doesn't fit the UK format, so my new bank card is not recognised by the paypal system, even though it is simply an extension of my old card for this account.

I don't think it will help to simply set up a paypal account in my new country, since my bank is still a UK bank. Or will that work in the paypal system, unlike addresses in the 'wrong' country?

And if that does work, what do I do with the few quid still remaining on my UK paypal account? Can I transfer it to my bank account, even though the address for that bank account is now overseas?

Login to Me Too

PPMike
New Community Member

Hi

I am from UK and have a Paypal account linked to a UK account . As I live overseas I only keep enough in that account to retain the bank account. 

I live in Cambodia and when I go onto the section about adding a credit card it won't allow me to update my address or to put in a new credit card as my address is in Cambodia and we don't have post codes. 

I understand from reading a prior email that it's possible to have a separate paypal for a foreign address. We  have bank accounts and Visa cards here without any need for postcodes. Why don't papypal allow foreign addresses without postcodes? I'm sure it's not something that's unique to this country. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how to set up a foreign account in a country without a postcode system? 

Even calling paypal UK is frustrating as one would think it would have a 24 hour call centre in Dublin but instead it keeps UK hours. Many people use the internet at night to order items and plus there are shift workers who are awake at different times. This payment system is frustrating without someone to talk to at different hours of the day and without a way to register a foreign account without postcodes.

PPMike

Login to Me Too

Hgqf
Contributor
Contributor

I've moved address within the U.K.  Paypal's website doesn't allow one to change one's Primary Address. So how can you do it?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi Hgqf,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

Have you tried to make changes to your postal address as explained in our help article here  https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-add,-edit-or-remove-my-postal-address-faq1416/1 ?

Intars

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.