Changing bank account details

genid
Contributor
Contributor

I have just received a new card from my bank, same sort code, same account no, but a different 16 digit card number.

Am I correct in assuming that I do not need to change my 16 digit card number with Paypal .

If I do need to change this with Paypal - there is no procedure mentioned that will allow this.

If I add this card, I will need to remove the old one, but as this is my primary account it will need to be verified - which is a real pain.

Help

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@genid wrote:

Now I'm totally confused, I phoned customer service who said that I did not need to do anything as it was the same account, the 16 digit did not need to be changed.

??????????????

Hi @genid,

Your bank account on PayPal (inc. sort code & account number) are separate to your debit card. Even if your bank details remain the same, when a replacement card is sent out, both the card number and security code are replaced.

You must treat the new debit card separate from the old one. There is no link between them now, other than it was previously linked to your bank account, but has now been voided due to being replaced.

You should remove the old card via Wallet - click here to access it.  You can then proceed to add the new card to PayPal. Most of the time, you are not required to confirm the card instantly, until your spending limit has been reached.

If you would prefer to complete the card confirmation process in advance, request the £1 authorization on the card's menu. Once the code is visible on your transaction list, enter it on PayPal and thereby complete the process.

I must set your expectation that the old card on your PayPal wallet cannot be edited. Your only option is to add the replacement as a new card, complete the confirmation process and continue to use it as normal.

PayPal Customer Service will not be able to edit the old card's details either - there is no override or exception available for this. In terms of security, a replacement card from your bank, once linked to PayPal, is considered a completely separate entity, hence requires confirmation again.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

sorry posted on wrong thread, oops.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

genid
Contributor
Contributor

No I'm afraid this did not answer my question - I am referring to the change of the 16 digit card number - the account number is exactly the same, I was lead to understand that the expiry date is automatically updated by Paypal

Login to Me Too

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@genid wrote:

I have just received a new card from my bank, same sort code, same account no, but a different 16 digit card number.

Am I correct in assuming that I do not need to change my 16 digit card number with Paypal .

If I do need to change this with Paypal - there is no procedure mentioned that will allow this.

If I add this card, I will need to remove the old one, but as this is my primary account it will need to be verified - which is a real pain.

Help

Hi @genid,

You would need to remove the old card, it cannot be partially edited. As each card linked to PayPal is tokenized once linked, a replaced card must be added to the account as a new one.

I understand that the verification process is not ideal, however it is a useful measure to prevent fraud. The sooner it is linked and confirmed, the sooner you'll be able to use the card with PayPal as normal.

Login to Me Too

genid
Contributor
Contributor

Now I'm totally confused, I phoned customer service who said that I did not need to do anything as it was the same account, the 16 digit did not need to be changed.

??????????????

Login to Me Too
Solved

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@genid wrote:

??????????????

Hi @genid,

Your bank account on PayPal (inc. sort code & account number) are separate to your debit card. Even if your bank details remain the same, when a replacement card is sent out, both the card number and security code are replaced.

You must treat the new debit card separate from the old one. There is no link between them now, other than it was previously linked to your bank account, but has now been voided due to being replaced.

You should remove the old card via Wallet - click here to access it.  You can then proceed to add the new card to PayPal. Most of the time, you are not required to confirm the card instantly, until your spending limit has been reached.

If you would prefer to complete the card confirmation process in advance, request the £1 authorization on the card's menu. Once the code is visible on your transaction list, enter it on PayPal and thereby complete the process.

I must set your expectation that the old card on your PayPal wallet cannot be edited. Your only option is to add the replacement as a new card, complete the confirmation process and continue to use it as normal.

PayPal Customer Service will not be able to edit the old card's details either - there is no override or exception available for this. In terms of security, a replacement card from your bank, once linked to PayPal, is considered a completely separate entity, hence requires confirmation again.

Login to Me Too

genid
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks - by far the best answer.

I'll start the process.

Login to Me Too

alexrevell
New Community Member

Setting up a small business account, I made an error in entering my bank details. I gave an incorrect name for the account. I was asked for a confirmation of my bank details and given a link to use if I wanted to correct any detail. I did, but the link was to an automated mail which could not receive mail. I have been trying all afternoon to find an answer to a simple question: how do I change my bank details, with no success.   

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.