What is the successor of Adaptive Payments?

waldgeist
Contributor
Contributor

We're a Germany-based startup and would like to setup a C2C sharing-economy business model that requires a simple split payment:

* user A pays money to user B for a service

* our platform gets a commission of x% on this

We would like to make payments as easy as possible for both sides, since both users are customers (hence C2C), not full-fledged businesses. The easiest way would be to transfer money from one paypal account to another, using just the e-mail address of both parties.

A couple of months ago, we thought that Adaptive Payments was a good choice for this. But when we started to implement it, we saw on the docs that it is deprecated now. But there is no hint about a successor product. We know that there is Braintree marketplace, but this is available in the US only. The only Braintree product available in Germany is v.zero, but that just seems to be a simple PayPal checkout button.

Is there any PayPal product available in the EU that allows split payments like Adaptive Payments did? Or do we have to switch to Stripe Connect or MangoPay for such business cases?

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

MTS_Ciaran

Sure, 

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/

But your correct on the fees, there would be a fee for receiving the payments and a fee for the PayOut to the next party. 

Login to Me Too

ssaltman
Contributor
Contributor

I also don't see a way to for a customer to use their own paypal username and password via the api. I believe this must be to prevent any develop using the api to actually touch a paypal user account.  Do you see any way to use the api to send or receive payments using a paypal user account?

Login to Me Too

waldgeist
Contributor
Contributor

@ssaltman wrote:

Can you contact me?

sssaltman at pmfbeta.com. We are a US company doing the same thing and discovering the same issues.

I contacted you quite a while ago, but did not get a reply. Maybe my mail is stuck in your spam folder?

Login to Me Too

ssaltman
Contributor
Contributor

Oops. Extra s in there.  use this: ssaltman at pmfbeta.com

Thanks,

Steve

Login to Me Too

SpidaNet
New Community Member

HI ,

Has any one got a solution? Desperately looking for one

Login to Me Too

CanadianGood
New Community Member

Hi waldgeist,  

We are in the same boat as you. I'm curious to know how you solved it. Is there a way to get in touch?

Thank you,

Guillaume

Login to Me Too

matthex
New Community Member

Hello!

We face the same issue: We need to use something like adaptive payments because we cannot keep the money and redistribute it for legal reasons. At the same time, we are unhappy about the outdated style and the fact that it is quite unusable on mobile phones.

I would be very happy to know about alternative solutions that you used!

Regards

Matthias

Login to Me Too

disgra

Hello!

The same problem here.

have you found any possible alternatives? 

So basically, is paypal closing a service before creating an alternative?

I don't want to start a project with a "legacy" system... 

Cheers

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Hey, 

So it depends on what you need, we're not closing this product completely in the short term, this will take time, but it is going in that direction. At the moment its in limited release, you can still apply for all the Adaptive Payments features and you may get enabled depending on what you need.  We will continue to support the product until an alternative is ready.

For some use cases there are alternatives available already e.g. PayOuts API or Express Checkout Parallel Payments, or reference transactions/recurring payments. 

Login to Me Too

olivierjuan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

did you suceed to use payouts in live environment? I can not and paypal support told me that paypal does not authorize payouts option for European union (it is the case if the bank account linked to your paypal account is in an European bank)

olivier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.