login using Yubikey

myronr
Contributor
Contributor

I got the following email from yubico and I can't figure out how to login to PayPal using my Yubikey.

Please instruct me on how to do this.

YubiFriends,

Recent news include how you get a YubiKey to login securely to PayPal and leading cloud services. And how students in Sweden are using YubiKey to access school systems.  This is a second copy as the previous e-mail's link may not work.

>> Read more

All the best,
The Yubico team

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

myronr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful.

Now I understand that it is not really a Youbikey at all, but it is a regular paypal  football with  a USB attachment.

This adds no more security than the football.

I am disappointed, the whole point behind the Youbikey was that you don't have to type in your name or your password.

The youbikey does that for you.

Myron

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

JohnSalter
Contributor
Contributor

We have made a short video of how to associated a VIP YubiKey with a PalPal account - look for the video link on http://yubico.com/vip

John

Login to Me Too
Solved

myronr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful.

Now I understand that it is not really a Youbikey at all, but it is a regular paypal  football with  a USB attachment.

This adds no more security than the football.

I am disappointed, the whole point behind the Youbikey was that you don't have to type in your name or your password.

The youbikey does that for you.

Myron

Login to Me Too

JohnSalter
Contributor
Contributor

We'd love PayPal to support the YubiKey in "native" mode for the full security it gives.  Our first step in this campaign was to support the existing PayPal strong authentication standard (which is OATH using the Symantec VIP service).  PayPal customers like you help us in our campaign.

You may also consider something like LastPass with the YubiKey to make the login to PayPal and others much quicker.

John.

Login to Me Too

myronr
Contributor
Contributor

@JohnSalter wrote:

You may also consider something like LastPass with the YubiKey to make the login to PayPal and others much quicker.

I have considered LastPass, but even with the recommendation of a famous security professional i.e.. Steve Gibson, I felt uncomfortable having passwords outside of my control.  The current state of the company, I believe can secure my passwords.  But internet companies change a lot, all the time.  It is possible, for example, LastPass could be purchased by another company.  The other company changes the 'terms of service'.  The new company updates my software to be less secure to provide a government access to passwords,  "to protect the children".  Maybe not all at once, but they will have my passwords forever.

Thanks John,  I appreciate you listening.

Myron

Login to Me Too

myronr
Contributor
Contributor

Why  don't my posts appear in the search?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi myronr!

What search term are you using?

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

myronr
Contributor
Contributor

it seams to be working fine now.  Thank you.

Myron

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi myronr,

Thanks for coming back to let me know! I'm glad it's working out for you now.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.