Sudden restrictions on my account

rpgmaker
New Community Member

Suddenly I can't make any payment on ebay with my paypal account. I tried several items and this didn't use to happen. I don't know if there has been a change in policy on paypal or anything (I tried to ask customer service but it was really confusing and I don't know if my messages actually ended up reaching them..). I'm from Dominican Republic (my card is based here) and while the error message is really clear I don't know why it is suddenly being enforced as a restriction on my card. Please take a look and let me know if there has been any change on paypal policy that I'm unaware of. This is a screenshot of the error:

EBayError.png

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

jmacd9999
Contributor
Contributor

to aneone who has a sudden restriction on their card   error 10417   try  the currency conversion in the ebay checkout it has to do with the sellers currency   it worked like a charm   

Login to Me Too

Suzi-buy
Contributor
Contributor

Please tell me more about this. I'm trying to send money on PayPal to sellers in China. I paid sellers for a week and then on Sunday it stopped working. I can't pay any anyone.

Login to Me Too

jmacd9999
Contributor
Contributor

for any one who has had a sudden or general restriction on their credit card   it seems that the software has a problem with the sellers currency requirement              ERROR CODE 10417  

THE FIX I FOUND IS WHEN GOING THROUGH EBAYS CHECKOUT  YOU WILL HAVE A PAGE THAT SAYS    REVIEW YOUR INFORMATION    IT SAYS YOUR ORDER TOTAL   HAS THE PAYMENT METHOD  CREDIT CARD #AND UNDER THE CARD # IS A LINE THAT SAYS    ' OTHER CONVERSION METHODS  '   CLICK ON THAT  AND ANOTHER PAGE POPS UP WITH    

PayPal offers two ways to convert currency when you purchase from a seller who uses a different currency than yours

IT GIVES YOU 2 OPTIONS

1     Use PayPal's conversion process to complete my transaction using my card'currency.   

Both the original transaction currency and the converted amount that I will be charged are disclosed for my convenience. I understand that MasterCard and Visa have a currency conversion process. I have chosen not to use the MasterCard and Visa currency conversion process, and I will have no recourse against MasterCard and Visa with respect to any matter related to this conversion.

2   Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice.
                 I will not know which foreign exchange rate has been applied to this transaction until I receive my card statement from my card issuer. I acknowledge that by choosing this option, my card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to this transaction, and that I will not be informed of the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees applied until I am billed by my card issuer.

THE FIRST CHOICE IS THE DEFAULT AND I CHANGED IT TO THE SECOND CHOICE AND HAD NO PROBLEMS

THE PAYPAL PEOPLE HAD NO SOULTIONS FOR ME AND IT TOOK ABOUT 2 HOURS FOR ME TO FIND A SOULTION   AND PAYPAL BRAINYACKS  HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THE PROBLEM FOR   A YEAR OR 2 

GO FIGURE 

Login to Me Too

Suzi-buy
Contributor
Contributor

I KNOW what you mean, I'm having the same problem with my account. PayPal was NO help, they said it was just the way it is right now and it might change later. It was a security problem and they couldn't tell me about it. Geez, all I want to do is give them my money and they won't let me. They changed my method of payment from PayPal to e-checks and sellers don't want to take them. NOT MY FAULT!!! Good luck with your account.

Login to Me Too

AnnaS

I just emailed them about the same thing! I am sort of new to Paypal, HOWEVER that still does not give them a right to tell me I can't access my own money. When I signed up this was NOT part of the terms of service. They are trying to keep our money and if they don't give it up soon I will keep hounding them until I get my money out of hold. Then I will close my account. I figured since I was new to selling on Ebay they wanted to hold money for a week or two until my customers were satisfied, well my customers have written to me how much they love the products and now that I see it's happening to other people even those with years of good credit verification I KNOW  they are trying to scam us, thinking we are stupid or something. They were a great company and if they want to start misbehaving no one will use Paypal any longer, so they better be careful. I had to yell at them to get my funds transfered to my bank quicker, it does not take over a week to send transfers... now it happens wthin 2 days.

Then again maybe there is some scam or hacking going on and Paypal is trying to secure our funds, but instead of TELLING US they play this silly game. They're going to loose LOTS of loyal and well paying customers if they don't do this right. Whoever is in charge of customer relations needs to be FIRED. It will be sad if we have to file an FTC complaint and go to court for the truth to be found out.

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@AnnaS wrote:

I just emailed them about the same thing! I am sort of new to Paypal, HOWEVER that still does not give them a right to tell me I can't access my own money. When I signed up this was NOT part of the terms of service.  

Oh! but it was part of the terms of service....you just neglected to read it.

Login to Me Too

gibster

Oh! That's pure garbage! Back up your TOS comment for once. The idea that Paypal can do anything they want is totally untrue, no matter how much you troll around and post. Why do you think there is a class action lawsuit, because you know better than the legal community does? Lol

Login to Me Too

redpower
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

10.4 Actions by PayPal - Holds.

1. Risk-Based Holds. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on any or all of the payments you receive when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with you, your Account, or any or all of your transactions. PayPal’s determination may be based on a number of different factors and PayPal may rely on information it receives from its third party partners such as eBay. If PayPal places a hold on a payment, the funds will appear in your “Pending Balance” and the payment status will show as “Completed - Funds not yet available”. If PayPal places a hold on any or all of the payments you receive PayPal will provide you with notice of our actions. PayPal will release the hold on any payment after 21 Days from the date the payment was received into your Account unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal or PayPal has taken another action permitted under this Section 10. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may release the hold earlier under certain circumstances, for example PayPal may release the hold earlier if you have uploaded tracking information. If you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal, PayPal may continue holding the payment in your Account until the matter is resolved pursuant to this Agreement.
Login to Me Too

YourStupid
Contributor
Contributor

gibster it seems like you got pwn'd by the user agreement

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.