MoneyPak and paypal spending limit issues

ParadiseG
New Community Member

So today I added Green Dot MoneyPak to my account for $420.00, it displays the paypal logo right on the MoneyPak card, and says "Add money to a paypal account. Shop anywhere PayPal is accepted, including eBay. No credit card or bank account required!"

I successfully transfered the money to my paypal account, but when I went to pay for the item I specifically bought these cards and set up a paypal account to purchase, it says the payment could not be completed, and I have reached my $0.00 spending limit.

After calling customer service and speaking to numerous supervisors and reps (4 calls that were over an hr each), I am told that this is paypals #1 priority issue at the moment and it has been happening to all people trying to use moneypak for days. Yet, somehow, when its supposedly their first priority issue, when you speak to the next support rep they forward you too, they don't even know theres an issue with greendot! A supervisor said he would send an email to the vendor explaining the issue the second we hung up, what a load of crap!!! Never sent a thing. He also told me and I quote "We have no idea how long the issue could take to work out, it could be a few days, weeks, etc." and "I might as well pay the fee and request a check for my money back", because they don't know when/if the system will work again. Well, I already spent $5 on each moneypak card, so $10 plus the fee paypal charges to send a check. So if I'm hearing this right, I'm supposed to just take a loss on the $10 card fees plus the paypal check fee, and wait a week or two for the check to come, to get my own money back, that I was promised I could use instantly...? This is insanity.

So since he never recieved an email the vendor called paypal to confirm there was an issue with the spending limit / green dot money pak right now, and the paypal reps told him "There's no problem, and the error is all on the buyers end, or they are trying to scam you." Very professional, paypal. Blame your tech issues on the buyer who PAID $10 for the cards to use this horrible service.

The vendor called me back angirly thinking I lied, so we decided to three way call paypal, where the rep told us both that PayPal was currently having a technical issue with MoneyPak and properly increasing the spending limits. Then she told us she had spoken with a technical supervisor and they had lifted the limits from the account, we said hold on, we'll try it again. Still the limits weren't lifted and she said the technical system problem must be interfering with the manually corrected spending limit, and I should keep trying every so often. Great job paypal, you've managed to **bleep** the user yet again. I'll update this after we see how many "days, or weeks" paypal takes to fix this issue. While my money just sits in a useless account that I can do nothing with. Some of us paypal members aren't rich, and can't afford to wait weeks for what might be a high fraction of their montly income.

PayPal shouldn't be using a system they are unable to "override" or "control" by an actual human person. It's almost funny how much this makes me think of the South Park episode with the WalMart, where not even the owners are able to control it. (look it up) It would be funny, if it wasn't my money paypal was playing games with.

So before you think it will be really easy to buy a greendot card, give them all your personal info like (ssn, etc.) and use it on paypal, I would try to think of alternative methods, unless you like paying card fees to loan paypal money way with no hopes of getting it back for weeks.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

eslamer123
New Community Member

IM IN THE SAME PROBLEM, WE NEED A SOLUTION

Login to Me Too

MorphingFactory
New Community Member

I have had the same issue with no reslotion.

Same thing, funded 3 diffrent money packs, still says 0.00, when it should say $55.

This has acutly happend twice to me, but I hope they resolve this soon, otherwise their stock will drop from all the un-satisfied money pack users, they will iscolite non credit or debit card users and as such have a big bust.

I hope the recognise this and fix it soon so they can get thousands of users back afloat.

Time is prescious, especaily when you have a client despratly waiting for a payment!

Login to Me Too

tim0teh
Contributor
Contributor
I have emailed them with the same issue after a little conversation they said it should work and I checked my limit is still 0.00 they said it should work within a couple hours, been 6 and I still have a 0 limit. Paypal seriously needs to step it up, or they will lose many customers of one being me.
Login to Me Too

tim0teh
Contributor
Contributor

26 hours and counting, i replied back to them, and they just ignore me now and dont reply. SERIOUSLY?

Login to Me Too

Kento
New Community Member

i actually kinda had the same issue but added a debit card and it went away

i think that if u add a debit card then it will verify your account which will raise all of your limits

now my limit is $250 a year from money pak which is a little annoying but i get used to it.

the actual problem now is that when u go over the $250 limit, im not sure if it resets at janurary first or the day i went over the limit.

Login to Me Too

drakevaumann
New Community Member

I'm **bleep**ing **bleep** it's now Nov. 10 and I still can't use my 75 dollars WTF i want my money now!

Login to Me Too

chill2
Contributor
Contributor

The same happened to me back in mid October. I added a moneypak to my Paypal account and I'd only used 50 or so of my 250 dollar spending limit up to that day. Anyhow it added my money but never lifted my spending limit along with my money so, like you, I was unable to buy an item I planned to buy.  

If anyone reading this has had this happen recently please don't hesitate to speak up. I was thinking about buying another moneypak but I'm not sure want to risk having this happen again..

Login to Me Too

thtanner
New Community Member

I am having this issue. I cannot add my debit card as I am awaiting a replacement from my bank (stolen).

I added a MoneyPak of $50 to my account and my sending limit is still $0.00. I have an item on eBay that I need to pay for, and would like to do it sooner than later. I even added my bank account but have to wait the 2-3 days for that process - I just want to be able to spend the money added with MoneyPak. Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

chill2
Contributor
Contributor

As a bit of an update to what I said earlier..  Paypal or Greendot finally raised my spending limit along with the money I funded my Paypal account with a Moneypak. This was a month and a half later though and I'd already found a way to spend my money back in October. Not a way that I could keep but a way none the less.

So if I added another Moneypak tomorrow would it work again? I'm thinking no as Thtanner just stated this is still happening as of November 26th. I'd like to buy something right now with Christmas coming up but loading my account is like gambling..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.