How many times does a person have to prove their identity?

sammael
Contributor
Contributor

The system paypal has in place for verifying the account holder's identity is incredibly limited, offering only 2 means of verification, both of which utilize linking other financial accounts.  An additional measure of coorporate indiscretion is the sending limits imposed upon unverified accounts coercing users into compliance.  Once such sending limits have been reached, the account is virtually frozen for online purchasing purposes regardless of remaining available funds.
   Furthermore, if an account is verified, but the linked financial account is removed, the account once again returns to an unverified identity status.  Considering the account was verified at one time, it is ridiculous to assume the account holder needs to repeat the identity verification process anytime they unlink their external accounts.
   Many people are uncomfortable with sharing their bank/credit card information online and prefer to keep their account autonomous.  Regardless of their personal preference in the matter, paypal should honor it.  This would in turn keep their accounts unfrozen and active, thereby generating further revenue for paypal.
   The fact that the only methods of account identity verification are linking external financial accounts is itself suspicious.  There are sundry alternative methods of identity verification that do not involve disclosing an account holder's personal financial accounts and entrusting them to the discretion and security level of a third party.
   This is not only poor business ethics, but it is a way of coercing the account holder into sharing confidential information ON THE INTERNET regardless of whether or not they feel comfortable with doing so.  This is stated with a clear understanding of the boasted security measures incorporated into paypal's mechanics, and likewise with an equally clear understanding of the fallibly of all such modern contrivances for neutralizing the danger of identity theft and fraud.  Even the pentagon has been successfully hacked, and paypal has no better guarantee.  
   The coercian and bullying takes further toll when the account holder recognizes that without paypal, they are unable to conduct business with many web-based sellers for whom paypal is the only accepted payment method.  ebay.com is an excellent example of a vast marketplace largely devoid of merchants available to customers lacking a paypal account.
   Anytime a company reaches the level of universal usage as paypal has done, where the majority of a market depend upon its favor, a moral and ethical obligation falls to such a company to ensure that their services are flexible and open to more than a simple range of conforming clients willing to blindly open their billfolds to strangers and allow them complete access.
   In the current age of identity theft, fraud, scams and other persistant and varied threats to personal financial security, the cautious wise should be rewarded rather than penalized.  By the very stance paypal has taken in these regards, it appears to the cautious and careful to be suspicious and a potential part of the problem rather than of the solution.
   If paypal intends to remain in its prestigious and unchallenged position as the most widely used internet payment site, it should revise its policies to be more inclusive of the wise and cautious by providing alternative means of verifying identity without breaching their own security protocols.  It should remember that even the most powerful companies can be replaced with newer, better competitors, all it takes is **bleep** off too many of the people they claim to serve.
   The unfortunate side to all of this is that coorporations such as paypal do not tend to listen well to the "little man" unless they unite in such force as to become a threat to the company's ongoing prosperity.  I will here indicate that any who wish to take a united stand and agree on a form of action should state as much in this forum and/or message me, taking their positions next to me as I oppose this coorporate monster.  I like millions of others enjoy the use of paypal's online services, and would prefer to continue to do so with the benefit of an improved identity verification / sending limit policy.  I would like to see this accomplished with your help.  If such an end cannot be reached, then I propose lending our support to a new or better online presence even if one must be created.

The system paypal has in place for verifying the account holder's identity is incredibly limited, offering only 2 means of verification, both of which utilize linking other financial accounts.  An additional measure of coorporate indiscretion is the sending limits imposed upon unverified accounts coercing users into compliance.  Once such sending limits have been reached, the account is virtually frozen for online purchasing purposes regardless of remaining available funds.   Furthermore, if an account is verified, but the linked financial account is removed, the account once again returns to an unverified identity status.  Considering the account was verified at one time, it is ridiculous to assume the account holder needs to repeat the identity verification process anytime they unlink their external accounts.   Many people are uncomfortable with sharing their bank/credit card information online and prefer to keep their account autonomous.  Regardless of their personal preference in the matter, paypal should honor it.  This would in turn keep their accounts unfrozen and active, thereby generating further revenue for paypal.   The fact that the only methods of account identity verification are linking external financial accounts is itself suspicious.  There are sundry alternative methods of identity verification that do not involve disclosing an account holder's personal financial accounts and entrusting them to the discretion and security level of a third party.   This is not only poor business ethics, but it is a way of coercing the account holder into sharing confidential information ON THE INTERNET regardless of whether or not they feel comfortable with doing so.  This is stated with a clear understanding of the boasted security measures incorporated into paypal's mechanics, and likewise with an equally clear understanding of the fallibly of all such modern contrivances for neutralizing the danger of identity theft and fraud.  Even the pentagon has been successfully hacked, and paypal has no better guarantee.     The coercian and bullying takes further toll when the account holder recognizes that without paypal, they are unable to conduct business with many web-based sellers for whom paypal is the only accepted payment method.  ebay.com is an excellent example of a vast marketplace largely devoid of merchants available to customers lacking a paypal account.   Anytime a company reaches the level of universal usage as paypal has done, where the majority of a market depend upon its favor, a moral and ethical obligation falls to such a company to ensure that their services are flexible and open to more than a simple range of conforming clients willing to blindly open their billfolds to strangers and allow them complete access.   In the current age of identity theft, fraud, scams and other persistant and varied threats to personal financial security, the cautious wise should be rewarded rather than penalized.  By the very stance paypal has taken in these regards, it appears to the cautious and careful to be suspicious and a potential part of the problem rather than of the solution.   If paypal intends to remain in its prestigious and unchallenged position as the most widely used internet payment site, it should revise its policies to be more inclusive of the wise and cautious by providing alternative means of verifying identity without breaching their own security protocols.  It should remember that even the most powerful companies can be replaced with newer, better competitors, all it takes is **bleep** off too many of the people they claim to serve.   The unfortunate side to all of this is that coorporations such as paypal do not tend to listen well to the "little man" unless they unite in such force as to become a threat to the company's ongoing prosperity.  I will here indicate that any who wish to take a united stand and agree on a form of action should state as much in this forum and/or message me, taking their positions next to me as I oppose this coorporate monster.  I like millions of others enjoy the use of paypal's online services, and would prefer to continue to do so with the benefit of an improved identity verification / sending limit policy.  I would like to see this accomplished with your help.  If such an end cannot be reached, then I propose lending our support to a new or better online presence even if one must be created.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.