Card linked to another account?

gmuzz
New Community Member

That card number is already assigned to another PayPal account. For security purposes, each card may only be assigned to one PayPal account. If you have already opened a PayPal account, please retrieve the relevant information and log in. Otherwise, please use a different card.

^ I'm not sure how I would go about getting paypal to remove any information i cannot access any tips?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi gmuzz!

Usually, the card is registered to either an old account of your own or on a friend or family members account.  If you have ever allowed another individual to register your card, I would recommend checking with them and having them remove it.  Another option would be to try to recover the email address using the "Problems with Logging In" link.  Otherwise, you can use the "Contact Us" option and send a call out to one of our representatives (please don't email the card information) and they can search by the card number and take it a step at a time from there.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

tomjustable
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same problem this morning.  I spent some time talking to a customer support  person, who assured me that there is no way for him to find out which account my credit card is registered to, except by reporting fraudulent use.  I don't want to go down that path -- I am sure it would open a whole can of worms.  I just want to use my credit card with PayPal.  I only have one credit card.  I think what has happened is that I have been using that card to make payments via PayPal for some time without having an account of my own.  After you use the card 10 times, it won't let you use it any more.  That's why I opened a PayPal account this morning, but the card is still blocked.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

tomjustable -

It certainly can be found, I used to find them all the time.  Ask them to search by the full card number (you won't have to provide any other card information) and they'll be able to find it, wherever it has been used.  Guaranteed.

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

tomjustable
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Adrian.  I'll give it another go sometime.  I'm not keen to pay for another international call just now.  I've just put a cheque in the post for now, which I'm sure is not what you want to hear!  For your information I just received an email saying "Unfortunately, your recent PayPal transaction was declined because you do not have a valid credit card, debit card or bank account registered with PayPal. ... Add a payment method to PayPal".  Presumably the system is not programmed to notice that I did try to add a card, and my card was refused, and hence that email doesn't really help.  I work with computers -- I know it's not easy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.