Paypal "Doesn't Like" Donations? True?

geniuswaitress
Contributor
Contributor

Hi--

I'm a longtime user of Paypal. As a freelancer, most of my clients pay me through Paypal. I'm a user (and lover) of the Paypal debit card, too.

My musician sister was recently ransacked and robbed, so I asked an oline community she's a member of to donate to replace her possessions and instruments.

When I mentioned this fact to my fiance, he said "Oh no! Paypal doesn't like donations from random email addresses. You could lose your account."

That sounds bizarre, but now I'm concerned. Are there any precautions I need to take? Can I lose my account simply for accepting donations temporarily?

Any help appreciated!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Hi geniuswaitress,

If you're collecting donations as a charity or nonprofit organization, your account’s nonprofit status must be confirmed. If you're just accepting "gift" payments from friends, family or community members, there should be no problem unless the payment amounts or numbers are so high that PayPal fraud flags are triggered.

Sandy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Hi geniuswaitress,

If you're collecting donations as a charity or nonprofit organization, your account’s nonprofit status must be confirmed. If you're just accepting "gift" payments from friends, family or community members, there should be no problem unless the payment amounts or numbers are so high that PayPal fraud flags are triggered.

Sandy

Login to Me Too

geniuswaitress
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I should be okay, then.

Login to Me Too

xoiyvnex
Contributor
Contributor

How high will the payments be until papal's red flag triggers? About how much would you call "high" and would they still be suspicious if lets say all my donations total up to $5000? And why would they get suspicious? A reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :]

Login to Me Too

Watertec_USA
Contributor
Contributor

They'd get suspicioius because it'd be like random people walking up and handing you money while you're walking down the street, it could be totally legit but out of context it could be linked to terrorism, drugs etc.

Login to Me Too

demossoft
Contributor
Contributor

If you're a freelancer, try this Freelancer site.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.