Pay Pal/Smart Connect Buyer Credit PLEASE HELP

Roostybird
Contributor
Contributor

Last year, I successfully (after messing it up once) transferred funds using my Pay Pal (now Smart Connect) Buyer Credit line to my son's Pay Pal student acct.  There was no purchase involved..just transferred money to him. I can't remember how I did it, and want to make sure I do it right the FIRSt time this time..please help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Amanda411

Hi Roostybird,

When you're sending a payment you are able to select the funding source by clicking "change" under the Payment Method.

When you make a payment, if you have not selected a Preferred Payment Method, PayPal will fund your transaction in this order:

1. Balance
  2. Instant Transfer from your bank account
  3. PayPal Credit
  4. Debit card
  5. Credit card
  6. eCheck

Note:  We will use your Balance first even if you have selected a Preferred Payment Method (unless your Preferred Payment Method is PayPal Credit or eCheck in which case we will use these Payment Methods first). If you don't want to use your Balance, you can withdraw it before making a payment.

Amanda

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15
Solved

Amanda411

Hi Roostybird,

When you're sending a payment you are able to select the funding source by clicking "change" under the Payment Method.

When you make a payment, if you have not selected a Preferred Payment Method, PayPal will fund your transaction in this order:

1. Balance
  2. Instant Transfer from your bank account
  3. PayPal Credit
  4. Debit card
  5. Credit card
  6. eCheck

Note:  We will use your Balance first even if you have selected a Preferred Payment Method (unless your Preferred Payment Method is PayPal Credit or eCheck in which case we will use these Payment Methods first). If you don't want to use your Balance, you can withdraw it before making a payment.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

Roostybird
Contributor
Contributor

A few days ago, I stumbled upon something that allowed me (on the paypal site) to pick a primary funding source. I thought I clicked under Profile..but cant find it anymore.. I tried under add/edit accts, checkout settings, etc. What did I do, and why is the site so difficult to navigate? Not a pro, but Im not a novice user, either.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi Roostybird,

PayPal Buyer Credit is now called PayPal Smart Connect.

Here's how to make your PayPal Extras MasterCard® or PayPal Smart Connect your preferred payment method:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.
  3. Click "PayPal Extras MasterCard" or "PayPal Smart Connect" under "Financial Information." (Don't see this step? Follow the instructions below.)
  4. Click "Update account preferences" under "Manage my credit account."
  5. Click "Change" under "Checkout Preference."
  6. Select your preference and click "Save Changes."

Amanda

Login to Me Too

rgtg92

Thank you for telling that paypal credit and paypal smart connect is the same thing.  I have been trying all day to find out what smart connect was.  I have received the run around with the ones I talked with. 

Login to Me Too

Randa82
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone tell me if I can pay my smart connect balance using my debit/credit card?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Randa82,

Currently, Smart Connect accepts payments from either bank transfers or the available PayPal account balance.  At this time, they have not elected to accept payment via debit/credit card. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

rgtg92

Hello.  I would like to ask about paypal smart connect.  I had place an order, paid with paypal, received the order, didn't like and and returned it.  The place sent me a refund.  When I on onto my account it says it received the refund and then it says refunded was transfer to paypal smart connect.  I don't even know for sure what smart connect is.  I seen on here that it and paypal are the same thing now just new name.  I want to know  if it has been applied why isnt it showing on my balance.  My balance is the same as before with no refund taken off.  It says the transfer and refund is complete.  I have seen that alot of people is getting the same message but never gets the refund apply to their balance.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

rgtg92,

Let's take a moment before we get into your refund to go over how Smart Connect works with PayPal. 

PayPal and Smart Connect are not the same thing, or even necessarily the same entity. 

Your PayPal account is a virtual wallet of sorts - in this virtual wallet, you can put in:

- your checkbook (banking information)

- your credit and debit cards

- cash

So what is Smart Connect in regards to your online wallet?  I grew up in a small farming community, and many of the local merchants allowed you to run a tab.  Smart Connect is very much the same way.  It's a personal credit account that allows you to buy now and then make monthly payments against the amount charged.  This is essentially the same idea as the "tabs" we used to run with the grocery store, the propane company, the mechanics, the local co-op.  PayPal Smart Connect is currently managed by GE Moneybank.

But I digress - I think Thanksgiving has me in a wistful mood for the old homestead.  Smiley Happy  When a refund is processed to PayPal Smart Connect, they should receive the refund within 48 hours.  After that, it's up to Smart Connect to post it against your statement, which most credit companies do within 30 days. 

Hope this helps (and sorry about the long story!),

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Sparkyjoe
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I really have never researched the Paypal page.  Can some one explain what this is?? Does it mean I have cash or what.   If so, how do I access it????  Thanks

Lifetime cash back: $117.10 USD

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.