PAYPAL INC MARK - Purchase with AVS

cavanaugh
New Community Member

I completely understand that PayPal is checking on the card/authorizing it with these $1.00 charges.  And I understand it will be refunded.

But I'm using a $100 gift card from American Express to purchase $97.98 worth of things and now the balance on my gift card is $95!

So I can't make my purchase. How long is this going to take??

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

pulmprincess

Here is my problem with it. There is no notification the the funds are to be held. And why are they holding funds and denying the cards it seems like every complaint has come from an Amex gift card. So If you don't take the card or wont auth purchases  Don't offer the option to input the cards information and definately don't hold up our funds that can be used by a company that wants our business.

Login to Me Too

purple_cow

Hi,

I recently created my PayPal account, and tried to add funds from my American Express gift card into my account.

However, when I tried to verify my gift card, I received a message that it couldn't be verified, and when I checked my balance on my gift card, 'PAYPAL INC MARK - Purchase with AVS' appears, deducting $1.00. I have tried verifying my card multiple times, and each time, it fails, leaving me with 'PAYPAL INC MARK - Purchase with AVS' and $1.00 less.

Why can I add funds from my card, and if PayPal can't verify my card, then why is it still taking money away from me?!

Login to Me Too

mjc7695
New Community Member

I'm getting charged money on my gift card when i didnt use PayPal to buy a thing! It's supposed to be "Safer and Cheaper", How? When they are taking our money?

Login to Me Too

anyagonz
New Community Member

I had the same problem as well
didnt buy a thing but they took $2.00 from me?
What should I do? 

Login to Me Too

starwars4reel

hey guys I called amex using the number on the back of the card and spoke TO A REAL PERSON. i gave him my information and he refunded me my money back. apparently when you get a new amex gift card you should call them and make sure its "registered" and that makes it okay to use online.

Login to Me Too

TXCamper32

Due to this issue I no longer have enough to place the online order I was planning to and as a result my niece will not be getting her birthday present on time. I guess she'll get it 7 days + shipping time late. 

THANK YOU PAYPAL! (for making a small child sad)

Login to Me Too

TXCamper32

Call the number on the back, then enter your card info as requested, after that select option "3" from the menu and hit "0" You will be connected to an Amex operator who can register your card and in my case was able to instantly refund 3 -1$ holds on the gift card so I could use the full balance.

Amex picks up where paypal drops the ball!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.