PAYPAL INC MARK - Purchase with AVS

cavanaugh
New Community Member

I completely understand that PayPal is checking on the card/authorizing it with these $1.00 charges.  And I understand it will be refunded.

But I'm using a $100 gift card from American Express to purchase $97.98 worth of things and now the balance on my gift card is $95!

So I can't make my purchase. How long is this going to take??

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

jbuzz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem.  I have two AMEX gift cards that I have been charged $1 by PAYPAL PTE LTD - Purchase with AVS.  Anyone at paypal have any idea how long until the money will be refunded?

Login to Me Too

Hippaul
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys I'm in the same boat here. I was just checking my balance on my American Express prepaid gift card I received from EVGA for a rebate, and I see 4 charges of $1.00 from PAYPAL INC MARK - Purchase with AVS. I know why they're there and that's because I thought I could add my American Express prepaid gift card to my paypal account to use it, and it wouldn't allow me. Yet they still bombed me with 4 $1.00 charges which adds up when your gift card's only got $30.00 on it. 

So yeah I am pretty **bleep** because I was going to buy something that cost $29.00 online and I don't have it on my gift card now thanks to this. I want to know if I'm going to get my gift card's $1.00 charges refunded or not. If not then Paypal quite frankly owes myself and you guys the money they took.

I've never used these forums before so I don't know if I'll actually get some help here or not, but I hope so.

Login to Me Too

jbuzz
Contributor
Contributor

I called the number on the back of the card and the automated response said that it can take up to 7 days for returns to credited to the card.  The number does not give you an option to talk to an actual person but after repeatedly pressing every button on phone it transfered me.  They aren't open yet so once I talk to somebody I'll let you know what I find out.

Login to Me Too

Hippaul
Contributor
Contributor

Alright then thanks for the update jbuzz. Please do let us know what you find out whne you talk to them. I appreciate it!

Login to Me Too

jbuzz
Contributor
Contributor

I never got ahold of AMEX but after about a week all the charges have been removed from both of my cards.

Login to Me Too

Dojorune
New Community Member

When calling the number, you can also just say "representative" to be transferred to a real person, might be a bit faster than just pressing buttons.

Login to Me Too

jb87104
New Community Member

I received this email from american express yesterday:

For your security, we regularly monitor accounts for possible fraudulent activity. Please review the attempted charge below which occurred within minutes of the timestamp of this message.

Transaction Date: 11/09/11

Merchant: PAYPAL INC MARK

Amount: 2,584.92

Currency: USD

Somehow American Express identified it as fraudulent so the charge did not go through.

Login to Me Too

siegeh25
New Community Member

so yesterday i got a pre paid card (had $40 on it) and i first used it on steam (gaming) and left with $11. i used this pre paid card on paypal but it failed 2 times. i quit and went asleep. today i woke up and tried again and still didn't work. i went to check my balance on the pre paid card and it said i got $6? what? why did they deduct money from me, they preaty much stole money from and i don't know what to do. will i get it back or is it lost forever?

Login to Me Too

ULforever
New Community Member

Same deal here, lost $6 would like it back, takes up to 7 days, not cool....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.