Auto Sweep Truns Off Without Any Notice

Roy510
Contributor
Contributor

If you use Auto Sweep to transfer funds from PayPal to your bank account (which is a good feature) you need to be aware that Auto Sweep can be turned off by PayPal without any notice to you (a very bad feature of bug)

Here is what happened to me,.

We received an email from PayPal that there was a charge  back via AmEx and that funds would be taken from our PayPal account until the dispute was resolved. We answered the dispute and refunded the money to our customer.

We did not realize and PayPal did not tell us in the email or otherwise that autosweep was turned off not by us but by the system.

When anticipated deposits were not made to our bank account, we got overdrawn and got bank charges for being overdrawn.

Calling PayPal support, was shown that we could make a transfer to our bank, which we did, and also turn on auto sweep, which we also did.  It took several days for these funds to get to our bank, during which time we got overdrawn at the bank again.

PayPal support suggested that we write a complaint and we got two replies:

1. Denying that this happened

2. Recognizing that this happens and thanking us for the good suggestion to have system notify us if and when autosweep is turned off

Has this happened to anyone else?

How can we pressure PayPal to do the right thing and notify us if and when auto sweep is turned off?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Roy510
Contributor
Contributor

Further on this topic, I talked with my web programmer about the problem. 

He asked if there was an API for auto sweep settings within PayPal.  If so, we could write some code in our application to frequently check the auto sweep setting for my PayPal account and to warn me if auto sweep was turned off.

We could do it using ColdFusion, or via a remote method call from HTML.

Login to Me Too

kcee
Contributor
Contributor

I just got an email that due to my request to put money into my paypal from my bank that auto sweep had been turned off.

1----Didn't even know about auto sweep

2----tried to go back and turn back on followed paypals instruction I could not find it

3----First time I have had any problem with paypal

4---- yes I agree if that is what they are going to do (rather they would drop the option) ,but let us know right away.

Never run across this before. Hmmmmmmmm??

Login to Me Too

bak
New Community Member

The same thing happened to me. I was told to go to Profile and click on Auto-Sweep. Those words did not appear on the page. Up til now, I didn't even know that feature even existed. Service in this country is on a severe decline.If companies would hire people to work on these problems there would be JOBS.\

Login to Me Too

dwilkie
New Community Member

Check out this free open source application to re-enable Autosweep and advanced features: https://github.com/dwilkie/paypal_autosweep

Login to Me Too

britishflier
Contributor
Contributor

I never heard of auto sweep -- and now it is turned off and my account is no good to me since it takes 3-5 days to transfer a certain amount of money to my account!!!!  WTF?  I can't even find it to turn it back on!  Unbelievable -- I have had this account for YEARS and now this!!!!

Login to Me Too

KZ
New Community Member

Just got a notice saying that Auto-Sweep was turned off. Looking into the matter has brought me here. I've never heard of it before, but it's not really a necessary feature for me. I think the Auto-Sweep feature should not be an expected feature, but rather a nice added bonus. Making mistakes with managing your account balances is not really PayPal's or your bank's problem. In that light, seeing as they're now notifying customers that it's being turned off, it looks like they took your suggestion. Kudos to PayPal for actually listening to customer suggestions.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

For Auto Sweep assistance, you need to speak with Customer Service.

PayPal Customer Service:
US/Canada
1 - 888 - 221 - 1161
or
1 - 402 - 935 - 2050

4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST Monday through Friday
6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST Saturday and Sunday

Note, If you're trapped in the the phone maze, press Zero.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

britishflier
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response but I think you misunderstood my rant.  I don't have a problem with my bank balance at all -- it has never been a problem.  My problem is that I NEVER kept much money (if any) in my Paypal account as it was always automatically withdrawn from my checking account whenever I needed it to be INSTANTLY -- the fact that the feature was turned off (without notice) left me stalled in using the Paypal account altogether since it takes 3-5 days to actually have a specific amount of $$ transferred into the Paypal account.  I wasn't used to having to give any thought to what was actually IN my Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

kaymonty

I received the same letter last week after transferring some money into my Paypal account. I called Paypal and the customer service rep was not sure why the letter had gone out to me. I only have a personal account. After checking he told me the auto-sweep feature is for PREMIER or BUSINESS account holders ONLY. He was not sure why I had received the letter but would escalate the issue to another department. Hopefully Paypal will resolve the issue so the same letter does not continue to be received by those for whom it does not apply.

kaymonty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.