this is a scam/spoof right?

zwellers

Trying to sell item on gumtree- after e-mails with the sellers agreed to send a papal invoice- got this in my spam box:

You have received a PayPal  payment of £300.30 GBP sent from Karty Edward.

Transaction ID: 

Status : Pending      98% complete  (AWAITING WESTERN UNION PAYMENT)
                         Description                                                    QuantityUnit Price   Amount     
                                 Goods1£120.00£120.00
Shipping/handling Western-Union Charges Total
£150.30
£30.00
 £300.30GBP

PayPal Policy
The total sum of £300.30 GBP has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but it will not be credited into your account (for security purpose) until you send the requested sum of £150.30GBP via Western Union.

See below for the information on how to send the funds via Western Union.

Information On How To Complete Your Transaction

As mentioned in the payment receipt and as per the new PayPal payment policy, we have fully deducted the total sum of £300.30 GBP from the  buyer's account and it cannot be refunded to her due to the terms and conditions for this transaction. Your money is safe and secure with us but it has been put on hold for security purpose and will not be credited into your account until we receive the necessary details from you.

What do I need to do?

Kindly go to the nearest Western Union shop/any Post office with cash and ask for the Western Union section, fill in the transfer form with the appropriate details. i.e Fill in your details as the Sender and the one below as the Receiver :

Name: xxxxxxxxxx
           City:   Essex         
           Post Code: xxxxxxx

Send the sum of £150.30 GBP (cash) to the details above. MTCN would be given to you by WesternUnion
Kindly send the below information to us as soon as you have completed the Western Union transfer so that we can credit your account instantly:

- Sender's Name and Address
     - Reference Number
     - Telephone number
     - Total Amount Sent
     - Test question and Answer (if applicable)
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zwellers

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and don't query the cost.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zwellers

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and don't query the cost.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

zwellers

thought so thank you. and sorry for the duplicate posting.

have reported to paypal and cancelled invoice. assume if i block the e-mails from the supposed buyer that the end of it.  thought there was no way paypal would use westen union!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zwellers

If they know you are not going to ''bite'' they won't waste time on you and will move on to the next.

Just remember no money in your paypal balance means they have not paid.

Even if its pending it would still show in your paypal balance but in the pending section.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rmiles
New Community Member

is is EXACTLY what happened to me!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.